Chapter 45

Hayden

Fuck no.

She wouldn't do this.

Maisie had my kid, and it would be fucking cruel for Clara to murder my own blood. She would have to be out of her fucking mind. It had to be so damn mistake.

"She wouldn't do this," I muttered, shaking my head.

"How dare she," My mother exclaimed, hatred lacing behind her voice. She stepped over to me, and I heard the disappointment as she spoke. "Hayden, we need to do an interrogation. She killed your own child."

"This is serious, mother," Ivor remarked, concern in his voice. "I don't think Clara would—"

"Stop protecting her," She lectured Ivor. "If she's innocent, then she can prove it. We have to do an interrogation for this. This is your child, Hayden."

My lips pressed into a firm line. I was fucking conflicted, but it would be bullshit to let this slide easily if someone was behind it. All the arrows pointed to Clara. Rueben found her in the kitchen with the fucking bottle, and she had no escape in this. I saw her wanting to slap Maisie. She had the hatred to just destroy what blocked her path.

"Hayden," Maisie whimpered, lifting her head to look at me.

"Yeah," I answered, monotoned.

"We need to have justice for our baby. I don't want to suspect Clara, but she's the main suspect who would do this. She thinks I would take her title after the birth of our child, but I only want to have a family with you."

I nodded, not speaking a word. My chest was fucking burning right now. I didn't want to believe in any of this bullshit, but it had to be her.

Why the fuck did it had to be Clara?

"Can you promise me one thing?" Maisie sniffed, looking down. She was still trying to search for words.

"What?" I asked.

"If Clara did do it, I don't want you to punish her harshly. She was probably upset, and—"

"Maisie," my mother interrupted. She came to the bedside to hold Maisie's hands. "Why are you so nice to Clara? That disgusting woman doesn't deserve your kindness."

"I know what it's like to not have what I want. I was envious of how Clara had Hayden, but I never wanted to do anything to hurt her. Maybe Clara thinks differently."

I clenched my fist tighter. The bitterness grew at the back of my throat when I realized that she could be involved. She acted innocent in front of me the entire time. She gave me signals that she loves me. She lied to me about talking with Maurice.

What the fuck was going on?

"Thomas," I commanded harshly. "Get Clara Moreau into the living room now. If she doesn't come, force her to come."

He nodded and left the room. I pulled away from Maisie. Before I could head out of the room, she caught my wrist, tears falling from her face continuously. I had to find out what the fuck happened to our kid. I had to see what she hid behind her damn innocence.

"I want to come with you," Maisie murmured.

"You need to rest. Stay in bed," I demanded.

She shook head, having the pleading expression on her face. "I need to know the truth. I deserve to know what happened."

I helped Maisie out of the bed. She kept her hands wrapped on my arm as we walked downstairs. My family followed behind me, and we went straight to the living room. My mother helped Maisie sit down, trying to calm her down, but I could fucking tell she was too upset from the miscarriage.