Chapter 96

Clara

I thanked the nurse after she did the final checkup for me. I felt fortunate that Damien was safe from the incident, and if anything happened to him, I would never forgive myself. I feared storms, and I also had no swimming skills. My mother focused on teaching me elegance and manners, ignoring the essential skills that I needed for survival.

"Mummy," Xander called with enthusiasm. He came running side, holding a small plastic bag with candy inside. I welcomed him with open arms, and he embraced me as I kissed his cheek.

"Hi, Xander," I beamed, sitting him down on my lap. "Where's Daddy?" I looked around to find Hayden, but he was nowhere to be found.

"Talking to someone on the phone."

I smiled and nodded, noticing that his hair was different than last night. "Did you get a haircut today?"

"Yes," he answered happily. "Daddy and me went to get a haircut, and he took me to get candy from a really big store too. Daddy carried me around. I picked my favourite candies."

My heart instantly swelled at how Xander described his adventure with Hayden. I was glad that they spent some time with each other. It was what I wanted because they needed it more to build their relationship.

Hayden stepped inside the hospital room, and my eyes froze when I took into his appearance again. His brown hair freshly trimmed, revealing the hard jawline that ran down the sides of his face. Firm muscles strained against his white dress shirt, and the black dress pants contrasted with the white. I could barely take my eyes away from him.

It must be some genetic blessing.

"Why do you aways stare at people?" Hayden snapped my thoughts. He bent down, grasping my chin and leaving a firm kiss on my lips before sitting down.

"I only stare at you," I teased, wrapping my arms around Xander.

He sharpened his eyes at me, and I smiled back, knowing that he truly liked how I flattered his ego. Dr. Hill came to discharge me, and we walked out of the hospital, heading to the car. Hayden voluntarily placed Xander onto the car seat. I settled down at the front, staring at the rear mirror as he buckled Xander in securely.

"I miss being at home," I told Hayden, interlacing my hand with his and placing them down on my thigh. He tightened his fingers around mine in response. "I need a good shower to get the hospital smell out of me."

"I need an early shower too," he muttered, kissing the back of my hand.

I darted my eyes over at him. It was obvious that he had other thoughts, and when he looked at me, he furrowed his brow, acting like he was innocent.

"I know what you're thinking about," I stated, narrowing my eyes at him. "You can forget it." I twisted my hand out of his grip, but he grabbed it back before I pulled away from him. I turned my head away with a smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he lied.

I laughed at his remark. He was the smartest one I knew, and without a word, he could easily predict what I wanted to say. I doubted that he was lost with what I was trying to indicate.

Once we arrived home, Violet took Xander for a quick snack as I went upstairs. I went to the bathroom, wanting to strip out of my clothes for a shower. Hayden grasped my waist, his lips leaving kisses down my neck, soft and dominant, causing a sigh to leave my lips.

"What happened to your video call?" I whispered, turning around to face Hayden. He backed me against the sink basin, his palms resting on the surface as he locked me in.