Chapter 111

Clara

I spent the next few weeks in the hospital to rest. Damien was held in the baby unit for the first few days before the nurses allowed him in the same room as me. When my relatives came, Damien would never come to me. All of them were trying to fight their chance to carry him.

My mother-in-law bought me some herbal soup again, and I didn't know what it was, but the taste was similar to the one she gave me when I was pregnant. I had Hayden drank half of it for me since he couldn't resist seeing me suffer with gross medication.

"Tastes like shit," Hayden groaned, settling the soup bowl aside. "Who the fuck makes these stupid recipes? Do they even taste test this?"

I laughed, lowering my book to my lap as I glanced over at him. "It's traditional soup. What do you expect them to taste like? Mushroom cream soup?"

"Not funny," he muttered, narrowing his eyes at me.

I let out a yawn and placed my book to the side. I noticed at how Hayden still had a stack of files to finish, and even if he was busy with matters, he still came to visit me daily. It was twice a day too. He brought me books and other necessities in case I was bored.

"You can go home," I told him, holding onto his forearm. "I'm leaving tomorrow anyways. You don't need to stay here anymore."

"It's fine," he assured. "I'll leave when you're asleep."

Hayden would do that every night when he came. He brought a stack of files to work on, and we would talk for a while before I wanted to sleep. He didn't leave until I was fully asleep. I knew how much he wanted to protect me and kept me company.

I slowly rested down on the bed as he pulled the duvet over. I tilted my head to the side, gluing my eyes to him as he read his files. His face was such a dream to me. All of his features combined formed an artwork that was worth my entire heart. Falling asleep from it was a gift to me.

* * *

When I woke up the next morning, Hayden was already gone. I stretched my arms out, yawning as I rubbed my eyes from the heaviness. I glanced over at the window to see the sun rising over the clouds, and the sky was painted in blue. I heard little baby wails, and I turned my head to see Damien, moving his chunky arms.

"Good morning, Damien," I cooed and cradled him in my arms. I patted his bottom, rocking him from side to side as he opened his eyes to look at me. His little fingers wrapped around my one index finger when I reached out.

I unbuttoned by hospital shirt and allowed Damien to feed. After he was done, the nurse came to help check up on me. I placed him down in his little box then held my arm out for her to do the blood pressure check.

Hayden and Xander came to pick me up from the hospital. Dr. Hill did a final check, and she approved me for discharge. I thanked her then went to change into a fresh set of clothes. I slipped on a white blouse, matching with a black paper bag pants. I kept my hair down, freshening my face with light makeup before I left the bathroom.

Damien was in his portable car seat and covered by the shield. I held hands with Xander as we followed behind Hayden. Hayden had one hand carrying the car seat, the other hand with the birth documents in a large brown envelope. As soon as we stepped outside the hospital, the press and public were already there.

Xander and I waved at the crowd, and they returned with loud screams. The cameras flashed in our eyes as we waited for the car to come. The grey Audi came to a stop, and Thomas came out, taking my suitcase as he handed Hayden the keys. Hayden placed Xander and Damien at the back, and I was in between them.