Chapter 146

Clara

I carried Bri out of her bed when she finished her nap. She usually had bed tantrum once she was awake, and Hayden would deal with it. Ever since she was born, it was like she instantly knew how to be attached to her father. She stuck with him, and they shared a deep connection.

"Daddy," Bri whispered, almost sounded like a whine. She stared around her bedroom, but she found no one else except me.

"Daddy is out to do work," I explained quietly and brushed her hair away. "We have to wait for him to come home."

Bri frowned, and I decided to retrieve my phone to face time Hayden. As soon as he answered, Bri had a wide smile on her lips, her eyes sparkling as she stared at the screen. She took my phone in her hands to speak with her dad.

"Say bye to Daddy," I told Bri, but she shook her head, displeased with how Hayden was about to leave. Hayden left her a few words before she was willing to hang up, and I had to find the perfect distraction for her.

"Do you want to help Mummy make cookies? We can give some to Auntie Josephine."

Bri did a small nod, and I smiled, bringing her downstairs to the kitchen with me. I slid the stool over for her to stand. Turning on the tap, I had her small hands in mine, and we used her favourite hand soap. She was smelling her hands.

"Orange smell," Bri stuck her hand out to my face. "Smell, Mummy."

I dipped my head down, taking in her scent and nodding in agreement. "It does smell like orange. Your hands smell so nice, baby."

I rolled up her sleeves. I quickly set up the baking essentials and started splitting the dough out. Violet came into the kitchen, holding Ambrose then giving him to me. His bed head was still uncombed, and from his expression, he was another duplicate of Hayden. I brushed the hair clear from his face then kissed him on the cheek. He clung onto me without another word.

I placed the cookies in the oven when we were done. Rosie came with Wallace, and he went to play with the twins. Rosie and I settled down in the living room, having our tea as we updated each other about our lives.

"I'm so dead," Rosie complained. "I don't know how you can deal with four kids." She laid on the couch, her eyes at the ceiling. It was like she was completely drained.

"Maybe five?" I smiled, thinking about what Hayden and I planned.

Rosie instantly sat straight, her entire body jerking upwards as her eyes widened. She was in full surprise to process her thoughts.

"No way," she exclaimed. "Are you serious? Another baby? What are you? A baby machine? I thought Hayden hates kids."

I laughed, settling my tea down on the coffee table. "I'm not a baby machine. Hayden and I talked about it. If it happens, then it happens. If not, we can have four kids."

"With your husband, I doubted it."

I partly knew what she meant, but I kept quiet, not wanting to say a word. I took out the cookies and gave some to Rosie and Wallace before they left. Xander and Damien came home from the academy.

I dealt with all the kids, having them occupied before I started on my current project of expanding the organization. I spent the entire night finishing the details of the proposal, which I had to present to Hayden soon. The night drew in, and my eyes were on the brink of shutting down as I tried to keep them awake.

I went to grab my blanket from Hayden and my room. I returned downstairs, turning off all the lights and resting on the couch. He texted me that he would be home late tonight since the event was still going on. I wanted to wait for him as I finished work, but my eyes were growing heavy with each hour. I slowly closed them, laying on the couch as I waited for Hayden to come home.