Chapter 1

Clara

It was that time of the year for people to come together at a certain place. No, it wasn't a family reunion of aunts, uncles, or grandparents. It wasn't an event to chat about our daily lives. Instead, it was an annual ball to impress certain people especially in the high class families.

Many families were excited for the ball. It took place in a city called Oriadon, where rich families reside. Women were dressed in fancy dresses, while men wore tailored tuxedos. Mothers would be more tensed, planning and panicking about what to do, and my dearest mother was no exception.

"Clara!" My mother shouted as she barged into my room with our two maids, Beatrice and Phoebe, behind her. Both of them had dresses draped over their arms, nervousness written across their faces. "Bloody hell. Why are you still dressed like this?" She scoffed, widening her eyes as soon as she saw me in my regular clothes.

"Mother," I tried to speak politely. "Don't we still have some time before the event starts?" She rolled her eyes at my response, obviously thinking I was being a total ignorant of what was coming ahead of us. This was the event that she cared about. It's not any regular meeting. It was where she could brag and meet other high class families.

"You obviously haven't realized how important this is. Your father is a well-known businessman for the jewellery industry. We have to arrive early to greet his partners. If we're late, they will look down upon us, and it will ruin any chances of you marrying a good husband."

"I'm still young, mother. I'm not in a rush to marry."

"That's what you think. I don't want any mistakes for this ball, Clara Moreau. Hurry up. I need you to try on these gowns that I got designers made for you," she ordered Beatrice to come over and grabbed the dresses from her arms. My mother stepped towards me, holding the pieces over my body. She hissed then complained until it was a good thirty minute for the perfect piece.

Phoebe stood behind me and helped remove my night gown. After a great struggle of knots and strings, I slipped on a pink ball gown that flared out at the waist. Silver sequins were embroidered over the sweet heart neckline and off the shoulder sleeves. The remainder of the dress was in pink tulle that came in multiple thin layers.

My mother wanted to make me some sophisticated woman that knew her manners and roles in life. She did came from a high class family where all the women turned out to be the same. So, here she was with me as her successor. It didn't turn out that way though.

I stood in front of the mirror as Beatrice and Phoebe finished with some light touch ups. I was quite impressed, considering that my mother usually picked out very eye-catching clothing for me to attract male attention. This gown would considered to be less of her usual tastes.

I added the floral headpiece on once Phoebe finished braiding my hair. Beatrice placed a silver necklace around my neck, one that my father specially made for me and for tonight. With all the final touches done, my mother seemed to be very pleased with my appearance especially how she believed I could capture some attention

"Augustine," My mother exclaimed as we entered the living room.

My father turned around and spotted me instantly. His blue eyes observed me, his lips curving into a satisfactory smile as my mother fixed his black bowtie.

"Clara," he acknowledged. "You look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you," I smiled back at him.

"We need to get going. Where's Silas?"

"Silas is taking his time to prepare, Augustine. Be patient," my mother answered.

I was somewhat annoyed by my mother's double standards. She'd always preferred my brother over me in many ways, and even the smallest things, she wouldn't yell at him. As for me, she would find ways to criticize and whine. She explained how it was for my own good, but I still believed it was only an excuse for her bias.