Chapter 14

Clara

"Clara," Rosie exclaimed when she entered the living room. I leaped with joy and dashed towards her immediately. It seemed like years since we last saw each other, but I had only been married for a few days.

"Rosie," I smiled, interlacing hands with her. "How are you?"

"I'm great," her eyes dwelled around the space. She kept her concentration out at the palace, her mouth gaping open. "Oh my God, this place is huge."

"I know," I whispered. "I still get lost. It's going to take me a few weeks to know the place."

Another heel clicking sounds came into the room, and I tilted my head to see my mother behind Rosie. My heart softened, and my eyes rimmed with tears. The vision blurred at the sight, and I dashed straight into her arms.

"Mother," I embraced her tightly. Her strong scent weaved into my nose. It provided me a sense of family warmth that I missed.

"Clara, sweetheart," she cooed. Her voice seemed to be gentler than the past. "I miss you."

"I miss you too," I pulled apart from her. "Let's sit down. We have so much to talk about."

I guided them to where the couches where, and Violet returned with a tray in her hands. A blue porcelain tea set was on top. The cup rims and handles were painted in gold. It was a wedding gift from Hayden's uncle who had a reputable business in kitchen ware. He made an only set for us, and the blue shade was my favourite.

Violet poured the fresh oolong tea into the cups. The steam rose into the air as we talked about the missing parts of our lives to each other.

"Where's father and Silas?" I asked my mother. I thought they would be here to visit me too aside from Rosie and her.

"They have been extremely busy with the jewellery business," she answered. Her slim fingers wrapped around the handle of the cup. "After you married Hayden, the jewellery business kept growing. Your father took Silas out to meet the customers and business partners, so that Silas could have a good future to inherit the business."

"That's good," I nodded, a faint smile across my lips. "That means the debt will be paid off soon."

My mother suddenly fell silent. I settled my teacup down as I observed her expression. She seemed to be debating over something, and the little instinct inside of me was sensing a bad feeling that caused my stomach to churn.

"Clara," my mother finally spoke. She lifted her head, her blue eyes staring over at me seriously. "I have to tell you the truth."

"What truth?" I swallowed hard.

"Silas told me to be honest. He was furious when he found out I lied to you."

"Lied to me about what?"

"Your father is not in debt. I lied only for you to agree with the proposal that Prince Arnaldo wanted to do."

"What?" I gasped, unable to believe her words. My heart ached, paining from how my own mother manipulated me with her emotions. I avoided her gaze, and she tried to touch me, but I flinched. "You manipulated me?"

"Clara, it was the only method to have you out there. We would be murdered if Prince Arnaldo didn't have what he wanted."

"How can you just..." I tried to find my words and breathed. Tears rimmed my eyes as my teeth sunk hard into my bottom lip. "How could you just use me? Have you ever thought about what would happen if Hayden never appeared that day? I would have been in Verdeniao with a terrible man."

"Would you calm down?" She raised her voice, her eyes cold at sight. She sounded like she had done nothing wrong. "Aren't you fine now with Hayden? If I didn't do what I did, I don't think you would be here as the future queen of Nascadia."