Chapter 58

Clara

Dinner was quiet the entire time. Xander tried to make conversations with Hayden, but we were still left in silence since Hayden rarely talked. Zelia made delicious mashed potatoes, and I spotted Hayden and Xander pushing their peas over to the side. Zelia and I exchanged looks, and I went to scoop their peas over to my plate.

I could feel his eyes on me as I did it, and he stared at Xander too. I guessed he was surprised at how his son had similar habits like him, and I would be the one to clean the mess that they both didn't wanted.

Three of us went to the backyard after dinner. I walked beside Hayden as Xander went to see the plants. I tilted my head back, admiring the clear sky that displayed the dark night with white stars above us.

Xander was leaving to Imperos tomorrow. I knew I could trust Hayden to take care of our son, and he would protect Xander no matter what happened. For me, it was hard to split from Xander since we had been with each other for a long time. It became weird to have him disappear from my life, but it had to be done. If he stayed with me, it would be dangerous. Maurice and Arnaldo would kidnap him to bargain against Hayden and me.

"Mummy," Xander snapped my thoughts. I smiled, looking over at him as he ran towards me. I lowered back to his height, and he held a small flower that he picked.

"What is that?" I asked him and pretended to be curious. "Is that a flower?"

"I picked it for you," he answered.

"It's beautiful."

"I want to put it in your hair."

I nodded and dipped my head down for me. He had a hand on my head, and he reached over to me, slotting the blue flower in my strands. When I lifted my head again, he had a large smile on his lips, showing some missing teeth gaps that were filling with adult teeth soon. I tipped over to kiss his cheek as an appreciation gesture.

"Mummy looks pretty," Xander praised, clapping his hands with joy.

"Thank you," I rubbed my hand over his cheek.

When I stood back up, I turned my head to see Hayden staring over at me. I kept my head low before I heard his footsteps sound come closer to me. He grasped my chin and tilted my head back to look at him, locking our gaze. His height towered over me as he leaned down, inching his lips close to mine, his heavy breaths fanning over my skin.

"Clara," I heard the voice called from behind.

Hayden paused, and he immediately look past me. I turned my head back to see Adam walking into the backyard, and Xander immediately dashed to him. Adam lifted my son into his arms, throwing him in the air before catching him.

I pulled my chin away from Hayden's grip, and he thinned his lips, focusing his dark gaze at Adam. I could sense the tension from him, the strong jealousy that angered him.

"Hi, Adam," I greeted, forcing a faint smile to my lips.

"I just wanted to remind you that we have an order tomorrow for a costumer," he reminded, smiling at me.

"I know. I will be a bit late tomorrow. I have to take Xander somewhere."

He nodded, switching his attention to the person beside me. I could see his blue eyes widened, and he immediately did a low curtsy.

"King Hayden," Adam said timidly. "Pleasure to see you."

Hayden's instantly clenched his jaw, staring away with annoyance. His expression darkened as he viewed Adam as his enemy. He didn't answer Adam, only grabbing Xander away from Adam and carrying our son tightly in his arms.