Chapter 9

Clara

The ride to the castle turned my hands clammy. My heart thumped through my chest as I stared out at the window. I immediately spotted Winston Castle from afar. It was a few stories high, the infrastructure stretching out to a few meters apart on both ends. Light and grey bricks emphasized the ancient design, and various shaped windows carved onto all sides of the building.

If Bruchester Palace was considered as large, Winston Castle was nearly twice the size, and I still couldn't accept the fact that my wedding was held here. All the change of scenery struck my mind, seemingly unrealistic, but it was happening.

I was going to be married to Hayden Winston.

My family and Rosie arrived there first to assemble the ceremony. I had be alone, and it didn't help with my nerves that continued to take over me. My eyes stared down at the long white gown that was layered with tulle and lace. Thin straps went over my shoulders, the collar low to display my deep collarbone.

The designer wanted to make my wedding dress brighten to the eyes, but my heart was lured in with the simplicity. It was what I desired all along. Even if I couldn't find my dream of having the perfect and simple love life, I could at least have my wishes set on my wedding dress.

When the driver pulled over, the loud voices of the crowd awakened me from my thoughts. The door opened, and Rosie stood outside, a reassuring smile curving on her lips. I sighed, finally seeing someone I knew after a long drive. The driver then helped me out before Rosie handed me the small bouquet of flowers and held the long end of my dress behind me.

She wore a plain white dress with thin straps over her shoulders. A pink bow was secured around her waist, and her black hair dropped down to her chest, parting into two sections and having braids surrounding her head. Her face was clear of any blemish, natural skin that enhanced underneath the sun.

She told me she didn't want to steal the spotlight, but she had the beauty of an goddess, like she was an artwork made from the hands of talent artists. The day when it was her turn to be married, I would tear up at the sight to see my best friend with her true love.

My eyes circled around the crowd. Cameras flashed at my eyes, and the paparazzies were bumping and pushing each other to get the perfect picture for their front magazine cover. Children and adults were standing behind the swarm of security guards. The guards kept the area protected as the citizens focused their attention on me.

Smiling at them, I turned around to wave. Many people cheered and clapped their hands, but some women tossed death stares over at me, like knives throwing to my face.

My father stepped to the side of me, and he hooked his arm around mine, grasping my hand while he patted softly as reassurance. The children started to sing in their harmonic voice, piano sounds running in the background.

I took my first step and looked through the thin veil that partly covered my sight. My white heels clicked against the floor as I entered the vast chapel. My eyes peered upwards, spotting Hayden in front waiting for my arrival. My heart dropped at the sight of how he was dressed, handsome features written all over his face.

He often had his sleeves rolled up whenever he wore a dress shirt. It defined his relaxed nature, but with him standing in a full tuxedo and a tie around his neck, the whole image changed. His brunette hair was slit back from his forehead and ruffled slightly like he had somewhat woken up. The suit showed his properness, one that Prince Arnaldo lacked, but behind Hayden's nature, he was still unpredictable, absolutely hidden from the dark shadows.

I kept myself from not staring too evidently in case he caught me. Our gaze eventually locked, his hazel eyes hinting only coldness.

When I stood beside him and in front of the bishop, the ceremony began with the oath. Bishop Arthur talked for some time until it was time for Hayden and I to place the rings on our fingers. It locked my status, an official key to declare my relationship as a duchess.