Chapter 23

Clara

For the past few weeks, I had been busy with the coronation event as I organized the guest lists as well as the decorations. We had to push back the royal tour because our schedule became too tight with plans.

Ever since that night with Hayden in the kitchen, I noticed how our relationship had improved. He mentioned many times he didn't want to have anything between us, but I still wanted us to have a marriage that was enough to not be suspicious. I cared for him, especially how he had experienced so much. My heart would ache each time I thought about how he lost his aunt as a child.

Hayden kept his cold expression and dry tone, but I was starting to get used to his nature, maybe even loving how the traits made him unique. To be honest, it would be weird to have him be extremely happy with a bright attitude.

It didn't match his handsome appearance.

On the day of the coronation, the maids and servants were finishing the final touches. It was the day that I would be titled as the queen, and Hayden would be the king. Being nineteen was too young to be at the top hierarchy for our country. For Hayden, it was easy because he had royal blood for his entire life, but I started from the middle and suddenly flew to the top.

Not to mention that people were starting to wonder if a royal baby would come soon. It was a queen's role to produce a heir to the throne, specifically a prince. The discussion made me nervous since I realized that it was impossible for Hayden to be heirless for the rest of his life. My mother-in-law would never allow that.

It would be a terrible reputation to both sides of our family and him. I had never thought about consummating our marriage, and I had always wanted to save my virginity to someone that I truly loved. It was clear though that I had no chance to find someone I love when I would be attached to this marriage forever.

I shook my head at the thought of having children and returned my attention to the sight in front of me. My hands turned clammy. I stood in front of the mirror as Ruth adjusted the dress for me. The hairstylists and makeup artists were outside, preparing for the next steps to my touches.

Thin straps went over my shoulders, the skirt of the dress flowing down to the ground. The dark red colour was vibrant, contrasting with my light skin. It was a simple designed dress with no patterns or embroidery, only a deep sweetheart neckline that cut deep on my chest.

Since the coronation was split into two events, I had to dress appropriately for the ceremony where it was hosted at the Geyser Abbey. The paparazzis and news reports would be there as well as the citizens. They had their full eyes on Hayden and me.

"You look absolutely gorgeous, my love," Ruth praised with a warm smile on her face.

I shook my head. "I should thank you, Ruth. You always make the best pieces. You're the best stylist in Nascadia."

Ruth had been helping me with my clothes since the beginning. With jet ink hair and smooth dark skin, she was a talented African designer whose parents immigrated to Nascadia for better opportunities. In the end, she became a famous designer that grew her own name once people were attracted to what she had designed for me.

She was one of the few Nascadian women that proved women could be as successful as men, and I hoped she continued to brighten her status, bringing a proud reputation to her ancestry and family.

"It's only because Hayden gave me the opportunity," she acknowledged. "He only saw one of my drawings and instantly called me in to help you."

"How did both of you know each other?"