Chapter 34

Clara

I left the palace, and Bernard drove me to Liford to meet Rosie. She was already waiting for me at the front door since I texted her earlier. As soon as I stepped out, I headed over to her and pulled her into a tight embrace. It was the only assurance I had left.

I could never tell my parents about the problem I was having with Hayden. My mother would be furious, complaining about me. Her attitude would only make me feel worse, and I didn't want to be near her right now. Silas had to deal with the business, and he had enough to handle. I didn't want to stress him further.

Rosie was the only person I could rely on for comfort.

"What's wrong, Clara?" She questioned with concern. She patted my back, letting me fall silent until I gathered myself together again.

"Can we talk inside?" I asked quietly. I pulled away from her as we stood outside, and I dipped my head down to stare at the pavement.

Rosie brought me to her room. Her father was busy in his office with a business meeting, and I didn't want to deal with so many people either. We sat down on her bed, and her maids came with warm tea and baked sweets.

My fingers wrapped around the cup, tucking into the handle as the warmth pressed against my skin. The fresh jasmine scent filled my nose, relaxing my senses and loosening the tension in my muscles. I stared down at the yellow tea that blurred my reflection.

"Clara," Rosie called, sounding worried again. "You need to tell me what is going on."

Her soft hand covered over mine and gave me a small squeeze. My head lifted upwards to stare at her. As soon as we matched gazes, the lump formed in my throat, and tears swelled my eyes. My lips quivered, and Rosie frowned, wrapping her arms around me.

"He hates me, Rosie," I cried, sobbing as she brushed my hair. She tried to hush me calmly as I continued to pour it out. "Hayden hates me. He doesn't love me anymore."

"What?" She was shocked. "H-Hayden loves you?"

I slowly pulled away from her and nodded my head. "He confessed his love to me, but he heard me speaking to Silas that I didn't know how I felt. As soon as Hayden knew, he thought I used him only for reliance. He told me I broke his trust."

Rosie pursed her lips, looking for words to say as she tried to process everything that I told her. She sighed, reading my expression clearly before she came to a conclusion.

"You're in love with him, aren't you?" She tilted her head, answering the question that I had been asking myself for the past few days. "You love him."

I was lost for words. I told Silas I didn't love Hayden, but a part of me knew that was false. I was collapsing without him. Maybe I focused too much on the husband I always wished and forgot that he did more than I could ever ask for in a husband. He became the husband that I never thought I could have.

"Clara," Rosie exclaimed, shaking her hand. Her hands grasped my shoulders as she stared straight at my eyes. "You need to tell Hayden the truth."

"I don't even know if it's love..."

"You've got to be kidding me. You're here, sobbing your eyes out because your husband hates you. You care so much about how he feels towards you. Is this not love to you?"

"I've never been in love with anyone," I stated. I had never even dated a single boy in my life to know what love felt like. "How do you know for sure it's not because I like how Hayden is dependable for me?"

"He's dependable for you, but because he's dependable, it makes you fall in love with him. If he was a different person, I don't think you would even be here," Rosie revealed. "I'm not a love expert, but this is the first time I've seen you so miserable for someone. Hayden has to be your one true love, Clara."