Chapter 74

Clara

Xander was sleeping in bed, all curled up, as I laid beside him, combing through his strands. I stared over at him, seeing the close resemblance he had with Hayden when he was asleep. Dark eyelashes curled out, resting against his high cheekbone. His pink lips were held in a tight line, similar to Hayden when he was asleep.

Xander would be excited at the news of being an older brother. He could share his toys and have someone to talk with, but the chills went down my spine when I realized the hardest part was with my own husband.

Would he want me to abort the baby?

I pulled myself away from Xander and returned the story book to one of his shelves. I closed the door behind me then returned to Hayden and my bedroom. As soon as I stepped in, he came out of the bathroom, his towel hanging loosely around his hips.

My eyes drew up from his hips to his muscled chest. Droplets of water fell from his damp hair, and I bit the inside of my cheek, gulping hard as I tried to push the dirty thoughts aside.

Hayden walked towards me, and I was instantly backed to the door when he came close. My head tilted up, catching his pinned gaze at my face. His hot breaths fanned over my cheeks, causing my body to shuddered while his fingers skimmed against my forehead. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

He dipped his head down, sucking on my neck, causing my breaths to turn unsteady. His hand slipped underneath my nightgown, and he cupped my breast, slightly pulling onto my nipple. My clit was aching between my thighs. I wanted to kiss him until the problems disappear on their own, but it was hard to even make love with him tonight.

"Wait," I stopped him, and he instantly pulled back, furrowing his brow. "I can't this week. I have my period." I lied as I tried to find an excuse.

He was silent for a moment, observing every detail of me. It was like he knew that I was hiding a secret, and it didn't take him long to notice the difference. "What's going on?" He asked, his voice turning cold as ice. "You've been so fucking strange tonight."

"Nothing."

He stepped away from me. His eyes darkened as we locked gaze. My mouth went dry as I clenched the side of my nightgown. I stood there, slightly terrified at his cold attitude that hadn't appeared in my eyes for years.

"You're just not going to tell me then?" He questioned sharply.

"I—"

"What is it?" He snapped, his voice escalating. I was instantly startled by how he turned aggressive with me. I found it hard to breath, and the tears flooded my eyes as I remained silent. He licked his lips with annoyance. "What is it, Clara? Are you still going to fucking hide from me?"

I avoided his gaze that was filled with rage. I stared at the ground then spoke slowly. "I think I'm pregnant."

"What?"

Silence weaved into the room. I glanced at him, seeing him froze with thoughts flying across his mind. He was trying to process it like Rosie when I first told her except Hayden was more surprised than I expected. He was speechless from the news.

"I didn't want to tell you because I didn't know what you would think," I whimpered. "You had to accept Xander because I made the decision to keep him. You didn't have a choice. I know how much you hate having children, and I was scared that if you knew, then you would be angry again."

"And what the fuck were you going to do alone?" He snarled. "Have you ever thought that anything could happen to both of you if it was true? Are you still going to hid it from me forever until some fucking accident happen?"