Chapter 83

Hayden

I groaned when I heard my phone vibrated over at the nightstand. Squinting my eyes from the sunlight, I stroke Clara on the head slowly and reached for my phone.

"Hayden Winston," I muttered, keeping my eyes closed.

"Hayden," Jo called, her voice in full panic. "You need to come home right now. Ivor is losing control after he heard about our parents about matching him with the Princess Runova from Zoswiostein."

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

I rubbed my temples with my thumb and forefinger. I was on the fucking verge to explode. My parents kept testing my damn limits. If they just mind their own business, I could live in peace without being some stupid hero for everyone.

"Don't let Ivor punch anyone," I ordered. "Give me twenty minutes."

I ended the call then remove Clara from me carefully. She was already awake before I could move further. She rubbed her eyes, catching a good glimpse of me while she tried to keep them open.

"Where are you going?" She asked.

"I have to head over to see my parents. Stay home," I tossed the duvet away from me. Clara sat on the bed, confused, as she let out a yawn. Her hair fell into a fucking mess, but her morning beauty was an artwork from heaven.

"What's going on?"

"Your brother-in-law thinks today is a good day to give me shit to deal with." I answered with annoyance, walking straight to the bathroom. Clara followed behind, and I squirted the toothpaste over the brush.

"Let me come with you," she said, her voice still soft as fuck.

"We have a kid at home, and you're pregnant with another. Stay home," I demanded, not letting any room for debate.

"But—"

My hand went to the back of her head, and I pressed my lips to her forehead before dipping my head down to speak. "Stay home. It's going to be fine."

She agreed, and I went to change after I finished at the bathroom. I grabbed my keys and drove straight to Bruchester. I sped through all the streets, accelerating at the fastest pace before I arrived. My fingers clenched around the steering wheel.

When I was inside, I already heard shouting echoing down the hallway. I removed my sunglasses, clipping them to my dress shirt collar then rushed to the living room. Ivor was standing in front of my parents, the thick veins evident in his neck. I glanced at Ivor then back at my parents whose faces were inscribed with only disappointment.

"How many times are we going through this cycle?" Ivor fired. "I'm not going to part of this tradition either. I want choices in my own life."

"That's not for you to choose," my father scolded and pointed at him. "You know that your grandfather makes decisions. He already had Hayden and Josephine free from it. It's your responsibility to continue with the tradition."

"Great. I'm the one being sacrificed now because my grandfather wants me to be a puppet."

My father sharpened his eyes at Ivor and winded down in a harsh tone. "Ivor, it's disrespectful to speak about your grandfather like that."

They were arguing back and forth as if they were kids fighting on a topic, trying to win by who could scream the loudest. I rolled my eyes, stepping down the steps with my hands in my pockets.

"Enough," I interrupted, walking over to them as I snapped my eyes at Ivor and jerked my jaw over to the other couch.

He remained standing, and I switched my gaze over at Jo. She took in the message and pulled Ivor to sit down.