Chapter 131

Clara

Rosie and Josephine came over for afternoon tea, and we were sitting at the backyard. The sun heated against our skin. A breeze of wind passed by every now and then, toning down the hot temperature around us. My oversized sweater was enough to keep me warm along with my favourite jasmine tea.

"Let's head out to do ball gown shopping," Rosie suggested. "I've been stuck in Agosdale for the past few weeks. It's so boring when I only look at files. It's not even fashion design."

"I think that sounds good," Josephine beamed then turned to me. "What do you think, Clara? We should head out for a little relaxing day. You've been busy with your studies. I think you should give yourself a break from the work."

"Yeah," Rosie agreed. "I don't know why you carry the credit card that Hayden gives you. You don't even use it. It's a black card."

I rolled my eyes at how she exaggerated the last sentence. Rosie was a shopper who loved fashion, and Ivor had never complained about her spending money. I was the opposite since I was often occupied by other tasks.

"I guess we can head out," I smiled and sipped my tea. "I want to take Damien out too. Xander and him needs new clothes."

"Oh God," Rosie groaned. "Mummy Clara and her sweet babies."

I laughed at her comment. I went to help dress Damien, and Josephine joined me. She was very gentle with her nephew, and I observed at the familiarity she gathered from the experience.

"There you go," Josephine kissed Damien on the cheek. He giggled loudly back, making Josephine smile wider.

I grabbed the baby bag and walked downstairs with Josephine. We standing by the front entrance, waiting for Rosie to come out of the bathroom.

"When are you and Abbas having children?" I asked, watching Bernard take the stroller out. I patted Damien on the back as he rested over my shoulder.

"We're going to wait," she answered. "I don't know if I'm ready to be a mother yet. Plus, having a baby can be challenging. What if—"

She caught her words and looked at me, her face apologetic. I sent her a soft smile, and she took my hand in hers.

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I didn't mean to bring up the past."

I shook my head, patting her hand as reassurance. The past, including the miscarriage, was slowly drifting from my mind. I already spent too long hurting myself from nightmares that both Hayden and me experienced. I had to learn how to overcome it.

I kept Damien in the stroller with the sun shade pulled up to cover the public from disturbing him. He was already napping while sucking this thumb. I took a picture of him as Rosie and Josephine were looking at fragrances.

"Clara," Rosie pulled me over to the counter. The sales associated greeted me as she waited for us to look at the different fragrance bottles. "This one smells really good. I think you should buy it."

"I have so many perfume at home. I haven't even touched them unless I have to attend an event," I stated, waving off the thick spicy scent that was filling my nose.

She knew that she couldn't convince me and tried them for herself. I decided to test several cologne since Hayden didn't own a lot of them. He disliked artificial scent too, but I thought it would be great to gift him something.

We walked out of the boutique and went to the baby store. Damien was awake in time, and I carried him out, setting him free from the stroller. I bounced him around to look at the different clothes.