Chapter 33

Hayden

"What is Clara and Silas doing in the kitchen?" My mother-in-law asked impatiently while I was taking a sip of my wine and listening to my father-in-law.

"I think she just wanted to speak with Silas," my father-in-law answered, sharpening his eyes at his wife for her attitude.

"I don't know what she can't say with all of us in here. We're a family."

I didn't understand how Clara could survive a single day with her mother who complaint daily. It had only been a few hours, and she was annoying the shit out of me. I could never be near her again if she kept up this attitude.

"Just let them speak," my father-in-law commented sternly. "Why are you rushing them?"

"It's very rude of them to leave us her and do the talking privately," Adelaide ticked, displeased with Clara and Silas. She shook her head, her brown eyes peering over at the entrance.

"I will find them," I muttered, standing up to leave the dining room.

The maids were bringing out food, and they nodded over at me. When I arrived at the kitchen, I found the dessert right on the table. Clara and Silas weren't there.

"Can I help you, King Hayden?" Violet smiled as she came over to me. She had a tray in her hands, carrying the appetizer that the chefs made.

"Where's Clara?" I asked dryly.

"I haven't seen Queen Clara in here."

I nodded my head as she returned to work. My hands tucked to the pockets of my pants, and I walked around the palace, looking at every corner for Clara. Before I could return to the dining room, I heard mumbling from an empty hallway, and I could recognize her voice even if it was from a distance. As soon as I heard my name, I stood behind the door and listened to their conversation.

"What? Hayden? Didn't you tell me that he has always been cold towards you?" Silas questioned.

"That's what I thought. I don't know how everything started, and I don't even know what I could say to him. I'm so confused," Clara murmured.

"Confused with what?"

"I don't know if I have the same feeling for him," Clara revealed. The response stabbed straight at my chest, and the burn was starting to grow inside of me, forcing my body still.

Silas sighed. "I could see it in his eyes, Clara. Hayden really does loves you. He treats everyone the same except you, and it would be terrible to do this for him."

"I know. It's just that I don't want to tell him that he only makes me feel safe, and he gives me the attention that no one else would."

Fuck.

I gave her attention that no one else would.

A loud dry scoff escaped from my chest, and when I glanced upwards, Clara met my eyes immediately. Her mouth fell open, and I shook my head, my lips twitching coldly. I was a fucking idiot to think that she was the one. I did everything to fought my feelings towards her, and I thought it was different but no.

For the past two months, she faked everything. From the smiles to the words, she used them to play me. She played me as if I was a fucking toy.

I turned away and walked down the hallway. It was as if she set a fire to my body and burned me inside and out. All this time, I fucking believed that she felt the same for me. I waited every fucking day for her to tell me she loves me, and I didn't care when. It was a lie. This entire marriage was a show for her.