Chapter 39

Hayden

We had a small dinner to finish the night. Maisie sat beside me, speaking to my mother about her wedding plans. I focused on the food and saw the peas that were on my plate. She would have scooped it to her plate if she was here.

I shoved the peas aside and ignored their conversations. When dinner was done, my mother forced me to take Maisie out to the backyard to talk. My mother wanted Maisie and me to build our relationship, and she was telling me how it would help us prepare for wedding night. The entire point was that we should start thinking about fucking kids.

My hands tucked into the pockets of my dress pants, while Maisie kept her arm hooked with mine. I kept going back to the night when she and I would be here after every dinner. She said that at night, the cities were the most beautiful. We would watched the lights from afar. It was then when I knew that she was so fucking perfect. I didn't give a shit about what the view outside was for me. She had my entire attention.

"Oh my God," she gasped, her blue eyes lightening at the view as I pulled her over to the balcony edge. She turned to look at me before glancing out. "Nascadia is so beautiful. I wish I could walk out the streets one day. I want to see everything outside. I want to hear the cars honk and the people talking to each other."

"You make it sound like you've never been out before," I scoffed, resting my arm on the railing.

"I've been out to the streets, but my mother rarely lets me leave because she said it's dangerous at night. I could get attacked by strangers."

A frown formed on her lips as she thought about what her mother had said. It was another complete bullshit from traditional women in Nascadia. Her mother was another extreme level that I never fucking understand.

"I told you to stop listening to the shit your mother tells you," I muttered. "It's nothing but brainwash. She keeps controlling you."

"I guess it can be a good thing that I'm here now. I have someone who truly cares about what I think, and he gives me good advices."

I turned my head to look over at her. She had the smile across her soft lips, the smile that drew in every part of me to focus on her. I trailed my eyes back to her eyes, the ice blue colour holding in my gaze. I could barely think straight when I observed her stunning features.

"Wh—"

I cut her words short, my greedy lips against hers. She arched her back, her warm hands over my cheek as my arms wrapped around her waist. I closed my eyes, taking in the sweet taste lingering over my tongue. Her pretty lips against mine was enough to cure my addiction.

"Hayden?" Maisie snapped my attention, and I stopped at my steps, turning my head to see that it was not her.

"What did you say?" I asked, monotoned.

She turned to face me, her arms suddenly around my neck to pull me into an embrace. My muscles tightened at her touch. "I said that I'm so excited to be your wife. We will have a great marriage, and we will have kids of our own."

I didn't say a word back. I knew that none of that shit meant anything to me. It was only her dreams, and it had never been mine.

My fingers wrapped around her forearms, and I pulled them away from my neck. She was bothered by act, but I hated how people just touch me without my permission. They would hang onto me for no reason.

"We need to head back," I muttered. "Your parents are waiting for you."

Maisie and I walked to the front of the palace. King Marco and Queen Gianna finished speaking with my parents and went into the limousine. Since they had an event to attend, they had to return to Verdeniao. The traditions was that I could not see Maisie either until it was wedding day.