Chapter 78

Hayden

My parents were clearly displeased with me. Annoyance masked over their faces as they sharpened their eyes at me. They hated how I handled the situation, but I didn't give a shit about it. They were supposed to save their daughter from a fucking creep. Instead, the pushed her further into the mess.

"Why the fuck is it my fault?" I snapped at them. "If Zykov was better as a man, he would have nothing against him. Don't forget that it's Arnaldo trying to cause shit. Not me."

My father slammed his palm down on my office desk as he glared at me. I glanced away and kept my hands on my hips.

"I pass onto the throne to you because I trust that you make good decisions for the country," my father scolded. "Not to cause drama for everything. You're getting out of control. How could you point a gun to Prince Zykov?"

"I have my ways to reach my paths," I retaliated. "A threat is nothing."

My mother walked over to me and held me by the arm. "Hayden, I don't want you to be punished when your grandfather hears this."

My father hardened his face when his phone rang. He glanced at us then answered the call. It was my grandfather who was speaking on the other end. My father gave me his phone, and I took it without hesitation.

"I heard you've done a lot to break a marriage I tied," my grandfather spoke, his voice cold as ice. He had no emotion in his voice, worse than I ever was. "You used my name to lie to King Valdemar about Abbas Faez. Do you forget who I am, Hayden?"

I glanced at the people in my office then walked to the window. Standing at the corner, I stared out at the glass, a hand in my pocket, as my eyes ranked over the night view of Imperos.

"You're not going to continue the marriage anyways," I stated the truth. "King Valdemar has to rebuild his reputation after what happened. Zykov is too damaged to be labelled as the perfect son-in-law. It's not a benefit to you if they're in a mess. Just let Abbas into the family. Zykov already found out that Jo and him are in a relationship, and if he uses this to leak to the press, our reputation follow."

My grandfather went silent on the line. Zykov had something he could use against us in his hands, and knowing him, he would get revenge. I had to make it clear that my grandfather knew about it, and Zykov would have nothing to threaten us with.

"You know that blackmail don't work against me, Hayden," my grandfather said dully. I could identify the lingering frustration behind his tone.

"It's not blackmail," I told him. "I just know what you want. It will always be reputation over everything else."

Clara

I thanked Violet for refilling the teapot then poured the jasmine tea into the cups. Josephine smiled at me, but her smile drifted into a frown. I was still trying to process the entire moment. Hayden completely turned it around for Abbas and Josephine to be here.

"Do you think Hayden can convince my parents and grandfather?" Josephine wondered, pursing her lips as she held the teacup. Her eyes dropped down at the tea, looking at the reflection.

"If there is one thing that your brother is good at, it's definitely making everyone believe that he's right even when he's wrong," I revealed.

Josephine let out a small laugh. I clasped my hand over hers then looked at the worrying couple. "It'll be okay. Ivor told me that Abbas' parents are protected. Ivor and Hayden have the best security in Nascadia. Nothing will happen to his parents."

She nodded, and I heard footsteps sound coming down the stairs. The three of us rose, standing up as the rest of them came to us. Hayden pulled me down to sit, and I was startled at his sudden movement. Everyone else sat back down.