Chapter 79

Clara

I laid out all the ingredients that I prepared to use to make sushi. Xander was in the living room watching television, while Hayden was in his office finishing with work. Violet was helping me around as we caught up about her family.

"Ana is studying again," Violet beamed as she sliced the cucumbers into thin pieces. "She's so excited to start her university degree. She was accepted to a good university with her grades, and she's going to major is psychology. A lot of Nascadian women inspire her to have her own dreams."

"When is she finishing?" I asked Violet as I spread the rice over the seaweed. I added in the imitation crab and avocado, rolling everything together into a cylinder.

"In a few years, but she wants to find a job in the Imperos because we're planning to move here. The situation is better for us, and I could afford to give them a place. They don't have to suffer in the rural side with the restaurant."

I admired Violet for being such an independent woman who supported her family. I remembered how her mother had an autoimmune disease, and Violet had to come out here for better opportunities. I was glad that Hayden pulled her out from the last job. She took the chance to overturn her life and didn't need any man to help her out.

"Why don't you ask Ana and see if she wants to work here?" I suggested. Violet instantly paused, her eyes swelling with tears as she heard my offer. "It would be great to have her with us. Your father can stay with your mother to take care of her. If Ana prefers another job, I can ask around too. Hayden has lots of connections."

"Thank you, Queen Clara," Violet whispered, extremely grateful for the opportunity. "I could never thank you enough."

"I will make sure you get a raise too. You helped me so much with Xander when he came here. He always tells me that you're his best friend."

I handed her a tissue as she wiped her tears. Violet and I had been close since the first day, and I could never forget how she was with me through everything. She thanked me and said that Ana would come when she was ready. I nodded in reply then finished with my sushi cutting.

Violet helped me placed the plates down. I set her free from work, and she went to have dinner in the maids dining area. I carried Xander to his seat, drying his hands after he washed them. Hayden came down, sitting at his usual spot. He squeezed the wasabi into his soy sauce then mixed with his chopsticks.

"I'm going to give Violet a raise, Hayden," I informed. I knew that he left our home matters to me, but I wanted to discuss with him about my decisions. "She's been great with Xander and helps me around. Her family is coming to Imperos soon for a new life. She will need money to support them."

Hayden did a nod, not objecting to my choice. He was the one who took Violet in, saving her from staying in the disgusting place. People painted him with terrible images, but in private, he had the kindest heart. Aside from Violet, all of the staff in our home was grateful for him because he paid on time and gave them yearly raises.

"Which one is your favourite?" I asked Xander. He used his fork since he was less skilled in chopsticks, and he pointed to the roll in front of him.

"This one," he said after finishing his food. "It has fishy."

I rubbed his head then looked over at Hayden. He had his mouth full, eating every roll on the plates. He loved spicy tuna, and I added more of those inside for him. His jaw flexed slowly to his movements as he devoured the food. He grabbed another piece then dipped it in his soy sauce before holding it to my lips.

I took it in my mouth, thanking him as I savoured the hot spicy sauce in my mouth. We finished eating dinner and had blueberry cheesecake for dessert. I hummed at the melting blueberry taste against my tongue. The cheese blended with the fruit, leaving a thick and sweet creamy flavour.