chapter 59

⚠️⚠️I AM SO SORRY FOR LAST CHAPTER. WARNING THIS CHAPTER GETS A LITTLE CLICHE FOR A FANFIC.⚠️⚠️

Julie's POV

I walk back happily knowing I saved Nick. Next, we need to help Carrie. I'm sure she can hold her own for now. 

I reach into my pocket and slip the dainty ring back on. I feel horrible for that but it had to be done. I text Flynn letting her know that I'm headed back and that she doesn't need to carry the lie. 

When I walk into the studio Alex and Reggie look very upset. "What's going on?" I ask. "Julie maybe you shouldn't talk right now" Reggie blows up at me. What is seriously going on. 

"Alex what's wrong," I say looking at him. He can't even look at me  "Julie, you know what you did" He says in a soft tone, much more subtle than Reggie's accusations.  

I laugh "No I don't know what I did. Did I miss a band rehearsal cause Luke doesn't seem to be here either" I raise my voice a little. "How could you do this" Reggie mutters under his breath. 

This is when I snap. "I SWEAR TO GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID SO MAYBE IF YOU COULD TELL ME THAT WOULD BE AMAZING" I yell at them. Both of their expressions change. They seem to believe me now. 

"You cheated. On Luke" Alex says the same soft tone. My eyes widen and mouth hangs open. "He saw that" My heart seems to have fallen into my stomach. "Why Julie, you know he never trusted well with love," Reggie asks in a calmer tone. 

 I shake my head. "You don't know the full story," I say sitting down next to them on the couch. 

I explain everything. How Nick was acting weird, my suspicion of Luke lying, the flirting, the kiss and what happened after Luke probably left after most likely following me. 

Reggie sighs. "He broke up with you. We don't know where he went" My heart sinks even deeper. I shake my head, "No he didn't. He doesn't know the full story" I say tears finally forming. 

"Mija, you have school tomorrow. Bedtime" My dad calls out from the house. I wipe my tears away. "Um love you guys," I say choking up before running into the house and into my room quickly. 

This sucks. I've never been dumped, never been dumped through my boyfriend's best friends either. 

***NEXT DAY***

LUKE'S POV

I make sure that lifers can't see me as I enter my parent's house. When I need to be alone I hang out with my parents. I wish I could talk to my mom. I wish she could hold me. I've never been cheated on. 

As I walk up the stairs I see my old room. I had plastered a bunch of band posters and some sunset curve posters onto the door. My parents haven't touched the posters. I thought they would have taken them down or something. 

When I reach down to open the door I feel a thick layer of dust on top, they haven't been inside for a while. I look around the room and once again, nothing has been moved. The only change is that it's slightly cleaner. 

Clothes picked up off the ground, Mom must have done my laundry. Some old lyrics and scrap papers were neatly stacked instead of all over my desk. I look in the corner and on the stand is my old acoustic. I had gotten a new one after I came back in 2020 so I didn't think to get this one. 

I take a deep breath and pick it up. I sit down at my desk and start writing. After around 2 hours of figuring out cords and lyrics. I've never written a song so quickly. Then I think of a title. I think and think then it comes to me

Twisted Stranger. 

The song is about a love that fell apart beyond visible repair. I look at the page and it is covered in small wet circles. I look up and don't see any dripping water. I look around before I feel it. I put a hand to my cheek, it pulls away wet.

I'm crying. I think to myself to suck it in but I fail, I let go and start crying. I hate this. 

After around an hour of this, I fold the paper into my pocket, put everything back and head out.

I head back to the studio and to my luck, nobody was there. I sit down on the couch and practice the chords to Twisted Stranger. 

JULIE'S POV

Before leaving for school I shoot Luke a text, I can't do this in person. 

J: Does this mean you're breaking up with me?

L: Well yeah, you kissed another guy. Julie we are done, I don't get why you even had to ask

J: Ok then. I'm sorry.

Radio silence from Luke. I mean if he knows he only knows half of the story. Honestly don't blame him at this point.

I couldn't focus at school today. I felt like a shell of myself. Like I was watching myself from outside my body. When the last bell rings I grab my stuff and head out to the car where my dad was going to pick me up. 

When I go to the pickup area I see my Dad standing next to a car that I didn't recognize. "Dad, what's this?" I chuckle walking up to him. "SURPRISE!" He says handing me the keys. My eyes go wide. I had gotten my licence but never really had a car to drive so I really just walked. 

"Oh my god! Thanks, Papi" I say hugging him tightly. This short minute of joy ends when I snap back to what's up with Luke. "So I was thinking that if Luke wante-" I cut my dad off. I guess I should tell him.

"Um actually, me and Luke broke up. Miscommunication happened. I don't want to get into it" I say smiling through the pain. He nods "Then let's head home" I jump into the driver's seat and pull out. My dad tends to back-seat drive. 

We pull into the house and get out. "Thank you so much Dad" I say before heading into the studio. I hear an acoustic guitar playing a beautiful melody. I think that it might be Alex as he is trying to learn acoustic. 

I walk in and it's not Alex. It's Luke. "Oh uh I'll leave you alone then," I say turning to walk out. But I double back. "Luke take this," I say handing him my ring. I hold in my tears.

He mutters a small "Thanks" Before going back to his music. I take a quick glance at the song, something he wrote by himself. 

A few hours go by. I lock myself in my room as I watch The Notebook and eat ice cream. Then I get a sudden urge to talk to Luke. I put the ice cream away and turn the movie off. 

I storm down to the studio where Luke still is alone. "Come with me, we are going for a drive," I say in a serious tone. He gives me a hesitant look before following me. 

He doesn't say anything about the new car. I have no idea where we are going honestly. I just needed privacy with him. 

Nobody talks for a few minutes. I decide to say something first. "Luke I need to explain myself" I keep my eyes on the road. "Ok then explain what I saw with my own eyes," He says sarcastically. 

"Ok if you could leave your little attitude out of this that would be great," I say looking over to him at a red light. He scoffs. "Fine, explain" He looks out the window. 

"Luke. I love you-" He cuts me off and mutters "Bullshit" I start getting fed up. "Will you just listen to me?" I say raising my voice. He stays silent. 

"I wanted to say that I have no feelings towards Nick. I choose you over him many times. Even knowing that being together would have its own issues I choose you, over and over again" I say staying strong. 

"Julie that's not what you said to him last night," He says chuckling. I shake my head. "You don't have the full story ok? Just give me a few minui-"

***CRASH***