Fade Into the Background

warning(s): injuries, angst

the reader uses she/they pronouns

You used to be her favorite - she'd even keep her sisters from harming you. Bela would always find you and tell you about her day or just hold you against her. All of that stopped when a new maid arrived and caught her eye. It broke your heart, but you kept quiet. The sound of buzzing filled the room and you froze, setting the plate you had been cleaning down as it stopped behind you. Your heart began to race as you were turned around and came face to face with Daniela. Swallowing the lump in your throat, you hung your head and waited for her to attack you.

"Lady Daniela..." You whispered a greeting, flinching when she moved her sickle.

"Daniela!" Cassandra's voice rang out before she too entered the kitchen. "There you are. Bela's being annoying with her new maid."

You flinched slightly when she said that, earning their attention - much to your dismay. Their giggles soon filled the air and your heart sunk, figuring they'd make fun of you for falling for their sister like the other maids did. Daniela's sickle pressed under your chin, forcing you to look up or risk getting injured.

"Weren't you her plaything for the longest time?" She cooed, smiling at you.

"I was, lady Daniela." You whispered, feeling your throat become tight as you tried to fight your emotions. "She has a new plaything now so, I guess I'm fair game."

"I guess so." Cassandra purred; a lot closer than you thought she'd be.

In the blink of an eye, you were in the cellar. That was the last thing you remembered. You didn't pass out or anything, you just blocked out what was happening to you. After what felt like hours, you were released to tend to your wounds. As you made your way to your room, you noticed Bela's new maiden — Kate — give you a knowing smirk as she walked past you.

Deciding to ignore her, you slipped into your room and started treating your wounds, letting silent tears fall down your cheeks. Buzzing soon approached your room and a soft groan left you, causing you to shut your bathroom door silently to hopefully let the girls know you were doing as they instructed. As you finished bandaging your last wound, the door to your bathroom opened and you locked eyes with Bela.