Always

the reader uses she/they pronouns

warning(s): mentions of abusive/lesbiphobic family/alcoholic father, slight angst (?)

Winter. It was a time of year you had enjoyed as a kid — building snowmen, having snowball fights with friends, sitting around a fireplace sipping hot chocolate. It used to be a magical time. Until you got older. Suddenly winter became, well, winter. Harsh cold, ice and snow covering the ground and making it difficult to go anywhere, all the joy of youth sucked out of you entirely. 

Not to mention your girlfriends hate the cold. They never told you why, nor did they let you go in the basement whenever you visited them. It made you curious but, after they told you what they were and what they needed to survive, you agreed to never set foot in there. They had been extremely nervous to tell you it — it was adorable how nervous even Cassandra had been.

You were supposed to visit them today but, a winter storm hit and that forced you to stay inside. It hurt being away from them, you wanted desperately to be around them all the time but your family wouldn't allow it. They never approved of you selling to lady Dimitrescu and they definitely didn't approve of you dating her daughters. She did though. She even offered to let you live in the castle — you were regretting declining that day she offered.

A loud banging reached your ears and you got off of your bed, cracking the door slightly to see your drunken father swaying back and forth. You were about to close the door when his hand shot out and pushed the door open more, making you stumble backwards.

"There's someone at the door for you." He slurred before stumbling away, leaving you to tilt your head in pure confusion.

Deciding not to question it too much, you slowly walked through the hall and down the stairs, trying to take a peek outside. When you weren't able to see anything noteworthy, you hesitantly opened the door, coming face to face with one of the four lords. Lord Heisenberg, to be exact. When his eyes landed on you, a wide smile stretched across his face.

"You know, if it had been the big bitch that asked me to come get you, I would've said no," He stated, holding an arm out to you. "But since my darling nieces asked, I couldn't do that."

A smile spread across your face as you grabbed your jacket, quickly pulling it on before looping your arm with his. "Thank you, lord Heisenberg."