The Silent Maiden

the readers pronouns are she/they

this has been turned into a story (same title as this one-shot) so if you enjoyed this and haven't read the story, go read it <3 [and while reading that story, do not comment things like "FINALLY" or "ABOUT TIME" when the reader finally speaks

Lady Dimitrescu hired you even after knowing you didn't speak. When you arrived at the castle, she had already told the other maidens and her daughters so no one questioned you. It wasn't that you couldn't speak — you could you just chose not to. Today you were tasked with cleaning the rooms of the daughters and that was it. No other chores for the day. You made your way to Bela's room first, knowing it would be the cleanest of the three, and got to work. 

The daughters never bothered you, in fact they made sure no one bothered you while you cleaned. At first you thought it was simply because their mother had ordered them to, until one day when the lady gave you a pen and paper and asked you why they did it. You honestly had no clue but you weren't going to ask them why, you were just glad they were doing it. After you finished cleaning her room, Bela waltzed in with a smile. Her face was, surprisingly, blood free and her golden eyes seemed to shine when they locked with yours.

"There you are, [Y/N]! Cassandra wants you to clean her room last, she didn't say why she just gave Daniela and I a task to find and tell you that."

You bowed to her in understanding and grabbed your supplies, shutting the door behind you at her request. Once you entered Daniela's room, she hopped off of her bed and raced towards you, engulfing you in a hug. For a moment you hesitated, unsure if she'd want you to return it but when she threatened you — you quickly returned her hug.

"That wasn't so hard now was it, [Y/N]?" Daniela giggled, guiding you further into her room. "And for the record, I'd never hurt you, I just had to snap you out of that daze somehow. See you later!"

The moment she disappeared into a swarm, you let a smile tug at the corners of your lips. Cleaning her room was much more challenging than Bela's but a lot less challenging than Cassandra's. Yes, there was blood everywhere — mainly on the sheets — but there seemed to be less than usual. You decided to push your confusion back and get to cleaning, humming quietly to yourself as you did so.

Once the room was cleaned and new sheets were on the bed, you stepped out of the room and shut the door before making your way towards Cassandra's room. You were glad she requested you do hers last, it was always messy — be it blood or paint she left laying around. Although you did enjoy seeing whatever art she was working on when you cleaned, it made it harder to actually get things done sometimes.