Grief

Pronouns: They/Them
Basil's Pronouns: They/He

Warning(s): mentions of blood and death, grieving

The person Basil's based on gave me this idea, so you can blame them if y'all get hurt by this

Spring had finally rolled around which meant I got to spend more time out in the garden and it also meant I could spend time with Basil, my best friend. The fox boy had shown up at my house four years ago and followed me to castle Dimitrescu when I started working there as a maid, always keeping me company whenever I was sent outside to do something.

Today had started out normal; I woke the lady and guided her to breakfast. After breakfast, I walked with her back to her study before she dismissed me, allowing me to go out to the garden. It was only when I reached the garden that I knew something was off.

Basil usually greeted me around this time, bringing me a random flower he would find on his morning walk before the two of us would hang out until your lady called for me. Today, he was nowhere to be found. After about ten minutes, I grew worried and headed inside, pacing the halls as I waited for my lady to call for me. I was glad, for once, when she called for me — allowing a distraction from my racing mind.

I brought her a glass of wine and stayed at her side with my head bowed as I awaited her next orders. "You don't smell like that fox boy today."

Her comment made me tense up, my fingers fiddling with my skirt. "H-he didn't show up today, my l-lady."

Her piercing gaze immediately landed on me, blood-red lips curling into a frown. She knew how much he meant to me — how I viewed him as a little brother — and she knew how worried I was. With a soft sigh, she gently set her wine glass down, placing a gloved finger under my chin and turning my head to face her.

"Do you know where he lives?" I nodded immediately, swallowing hard. "Then you may go look for him, I can smell the worry rolling off of you. Take this, the lycans won't attack you if you have it."

She handed me a metal rose, watching me graciously accept it with a slight bow. "Thank you, my lady. I'll be safe and return as soon as possible."

With that, she dismissed me. I took off down the hall after I shut her door, stopping at my room to grab the pistol she allowed me to buy — knowing I'd only use it on actual threats and not her or her daughters. Before I was out in the garden, a pair of cold arms snaked around my waist, pulling me back.

"I heard," Daniela whispered, worry lacing her voice. "Be safe and return to us, [Y/N], okay?"

"I promise I'll return, lady Daniela," I whispered, taking off towards Basil's cabin when she let me go.

When I saw their cabin, I slowed down. No candles were lit, nor was his fireplace, and the door was shut. Everything seemed normal, but something was definitely off — something made me cautiously open his door. Inside was a mess and it made my heart squeeze. He would never let his cabin get like this — they were too clean for this unless something was very wrong. I raced through the destroyed cabin to reach his bedroom. I saw his form leaning against the wall of the connecting bathroom, a single candle burning to barely illuminate their slumped-over form.