doing things our own way

*from the moment Elliots chair lift had gotten to the bottom of the stairs, Jasmine was jumping up and down with excitement and was trying to open his lift manually no matter how many times alliot told her he has to press a button for the door to open. eventually Jasmine gave up trying to pull it open and just stood back to wait and see how elliot was gonna get out*

Elliot: *wheels out the lift and into the hallway where jasmine was standing* see, i told you id get out! *laughs because Jasmine still has no idea how the lift works and just moves on from it and ran through the house asking Elliot to follow her to the back garden so they can play together*

Jasmine: *runs over to the swing set that has a big special basket seat made for elliot to sit in. not letting him fall as easily as he would if he tried to sit on a regular swing* here elliot!.. i push you!... *stands behind the big swing and is hidden behind it because of how small she is*

Elliot: are you sure you want to do that Jazzy? it looks like you are gonna get knocked over very easily. *laughs a little because Jasmine is to young to understand what could go wrong if she tried to push a swing that was twice the size of her*

Jasmine: i can do it! i promise! *smiles at Elliot*

Elliot: how about you and i both sit on it and we ask if mama can push us? *will try and compromise any chance he gets when it involves his baby sisters safety*

Jasmine: ok! ill go get mama! *runs off back inside to get Jessica* ...come on mama, lets go! *grabs onto her mums sleeve and drags her outside to get back to elliot*

Elliot: *laughs at Jasmine being so energetic and jessica looking so confused* hey mama!

Jessica: hey buddy! whats with your little sister dragging me out here? *looks down at an overly energetic 3 year old then back up to Elliot*

Elliot: jazzy wanted to push me on my swing but i told her she was to little for the job. so i have compromised that she sits on my lap while you give us a push *smiles at his mum*

Jessica: ah ok! i can do that! *smiles at Elliot then helps him out of his chair and into the swing. then she placed Jasmine on his lap and made sure they were both comfortable* you guys ready? *puts on an enthusiastic tone so she can make it more exciting for the kids*

Elliot: yep! *smiles as he holds onto Jasmine to make sure she doesnt fall out the swing once it starts moving*

Jasmine: go! go! go! *is giggling and she holds onto Elliot while they swing* ...higher! *jessica swings a little highter but not to much because she knows that elliot doesnt like going to high and neither will jasmine once she sees what its like* ...higher! *is getting more excited as the wind brushes through her hair and she feels like she is flying*

Jessica: sorry babygirl but i can't go any higher otherwise you will both fall out and get hurt! *just pushes the swing at the same hight its going at*

Elliot: *cant see Jasmine's face but he knows that she will be frowning at what their mum just said* hey jazzy, how about you go down the slide or on the climbing wall now. *waits for Jasmine to say something as Jessica slows the swing down*

Jasmine: ok! but what are you gonna do? *turns her head to look up at elliot*

Elliot: ill just sit in my chair and watch you to make sure you dont hurt yourself *smiles at Jasmine*

Jasmine: but you'll be bored on your own! *frowns because she hates not including elliot*

Elliot: dont worry! ill be fine! *smiles at Jasmine to reasure her*

Jasmine: ok! *smiles at Elliot then gets off his lap so Jessica can help him back into his wheelchair*

Jessica: are you ok to watch your sister while i go do some housework? *looks down at Elliot*

Elliot: yeah, thats fine! *smiles*

Jessica: ok! just be careful and give me a shout if you need anything. *kisses Elliot on the head then they both smile at each other before she disapprears back inside*

Jasmine: hey El, watch this! *slides down the curvy slide and lands at Elliots feet*

Elliot: wow! you went so fast that time. *smiles as he sees how happy Jasmine is when doing something as simple as going down a slide. a minute or so went by and Jasmine is still sat at the bottom of the slide frowning, as if she was lost in thought about something* whats wrong Jazzy-bear? *is concerned at how quick his baby sister's mood changed*

Jasmine: i really wish you could go down the slide, and on the climbing wall or run around the garden with me *looks up at Elliot with sad eyes*

Elliot: *doesnt know what to say because he knows that Jasmine is still way to young to understand why Elliot cant do all those things like she can* i know you do! ...but at least we get to go on the swing and i can sit on the grass and make daisy chains with you in the summer *tries to cheer Jasmine up by talking about the stuff he can do despite his condition*

jasmine: yeah! but thats not as fun tho *is still sad because she really wants Elliot to be able to do the things she spoke about*

Elliot: *sighs because he wishes that he could get surgery that would help him be able to walk. then he would be able to make jasmine happy* come here... *reaches his arms out so he can lift Jasmine up and sit her on his lap*

Jasmine: *rests her head on Elliots chest as she plays with the stings on his hoodie* will you ever be able to walk El? *sounded so devastated that her brother cant be more like her*

Elliot: *holds Jasmines hand and rubs his thumb over the top of it as he speaks to her* maybe one day someone will come up with an idea of how to make me walk. we just need to wait and see. *looks does at his sister mindlessly playing with his jumper* but untill then, i get to ride around in this cool thing, going up and down the ramps that help me get in and out of different buildings that we go to for all sorts of reasons. and instead of getting tired climbing up steps like mama and dada, you get to sit on my lap and ride on here with me *smiles as he sees Jasmine smile a little*

Jasmine: yeah! its so fun going down the ramps because it always feels like we are flying *smiles up at Elliot*

Elliot: exactly! just because im not the same as everyone else, that doesnt mean that we cant make our own fun with the things that i can do, right? *looks at Jasmine*

Jasmine: right! *was back to her usual bubbly self, smiling up at Elliot*

Elliot: now... how about you and i go in my lift and play with your dolls. we can have a tea party if you want? *smiles at Jasmine because he knows she wont say no to that*

Jasmine: can we dress up as well? *smiles*

Elliot: of course we can! you can be a princess and ill be the prince, yeah? *smiles*

Jasmine: yay! LETS GO! *is all hyper with excitement. and the conversation prior to this was long forgotten by the 3 year old, much to elliots relief even though he couldnt get Jasmine's sadness from it, out his head*

Elliot: *is getting ready to go back inside* alright, hold on tight! *Kept Jasmine on his lap and got her to hold onto the arm rests so she could go up the ramp with elliot*