Halloween

Halloween is coming around and Jade and Perrie were talking to their daughters about costumes.

"Jesy don't you want a sweet little angel?" She shook her head. Jesy had asked to be a devil. She rambled on about the horns, tail and pitchfork.

"Leigh? What about you babe?"

"I want to be Pocahontas," She said with a bright smile. Dimples her parents usually couldn't say no to on display. She was her favorite Disney character at the moment.

Jade didn't know how to tell the girl no. She felt that the costume was inappropriate. She was positive that her daughter was just inspired by the Disney princess and didnt really understand the movie, but Pocahontas was a real person with a real story. Who was kidnapped, raped and forced to convert to Christianity. It was disgusting how Disney portrays it. Falsely romanticizing the Powhatan tribe and English Settlers.

"Maybe we should try something else. You're always a princess babe." Perrie spoke softly not wanting to upset the girl.

"But I want to be Pocahontas mommy" She said leaning into the woman. Perrie hugged her.

"You can't be Pocahontas! You're not Native. You have to be Tiana because you're black." Jesy told her younger sister.

Leigh-Anne looked between her parents. Was it true? Jade and Perrie sighed. That was not where they wanted it to go.

"Mommy said I can be whoever I want" Leigh-Anne said sticking her tongue out at her sister.

"How about we do a family costume. Any ideas?"

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!" Jesy suggested.

"You can't be a ninja Turtle! You're not a boy. You have to be something different because you're a girl." Leigh-Anne said from Perrie's lap.

"Yeah whatever. You should be a mommy's girl for Halloween. Oh, wait. You're one everyday of the year!"

"No I'm not!"

"Yes you are"

"No I'm not"

"Yes you are"

"No I'm not. Stop it Jesy" Leigh-Anne's bottom lip began to quiver.

"What are you, going to cry? Boo hoo. You big baby" Leigh-Anne's eyes watered as she began to cry. Perrie rubbed her back.

"I don't want Halloween" Leigh-Anne said, getting down from Perrie's lap to sit on the floor.

"Baby, you don't have to cancel Halloween we can just find a new costume" Jade said heading into the kitchen to make the girls Dinner. Perrie followed shortly. Leigh ignored her, coloring in her book.

Jesy was still teasing her and taking her crayons.

"Shut your. . .stupid ugly face and give me my stuff" Leigh-Anne snapped at her older sister.

"Mama, Leigh-Anne is being disrespectful"

"Dont be rude Leigh-Anne, she's older than you." Jade scolded the 7 year old.

Leigh-Anne took her book and went to her room. If she couldn't be Pocahontas she wasn't going to dress up for Halloween. She didn't understand that Jesy being the Devil wasn't the same as her being Pocahontas. It wasn't just because she's black but more so the fact that Pocahontas didn't wear a normal gown like the other princesses did; she wore her cultural attire and someone's culture isn't a costume. Her mothers weren't comfortable allowing her to wear that 'costume'. She looked up when the door opened.

"Get out Jesy"

"You heard what mama said. Don't be rude to me. I'm older than you. I'm the older sister, you're just the baby " She loved to rub it in her face any chance she got.