Shallow [3]

"Why are they sending her something? Do you think it's about the surgery?" Jesy asked holding up an envelope from a hospital with Jades name on it.

"Let me look it up"Leigh-Anne searched the hospital.

"They specialize in plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries. I don't think it's a medical hospital, babe. Maybe it's outpatient services under the same name. I don't know. Let's open it!"

"No. Privacy, Leigh-Anne. She needs her privacy."

"Okay, okay. You're right."

Leigh-Anne fumbled with the mail for the remainder of the day. She was so curious.

Jade didn't come home that night but she did early the next morning.

"Hi baby."

"Hey, I got an email saying I've got some mail. Where's the mailbox key?"

"Right here" Leigh-Anne held her keys up and Jade tried to take it.

"Is this what you're looking for?" Jesy asked holding the envelope up.

"Did you open it!? Why would you do that, it's not yours ma! My god. Can I have it, please or you can just tell me what it says"

"Oh Wow, Dont speak to my wife like that. No one opened your mail. Its eight in the morning. Tone it down and try again."

"Sorry mom, sorry mama. Has any mail come for me?"

Jesy nodded handing her the envelope. Jade snatched it excitedly and tore it open.

Leigh-Anne and Jesy watched as her eyes lit up. But as she read more her smile began to fade. She frowned.

"Bad news?" Leigh-Anne asked.

"Yeah"

"Awww are you okay? Do you want to talk about it?"

"No. I'm okay" Jade tried to play it off. She sat at the island in front of her parents swiveling in her seat.

She forced herself to smile trying not to cry but it didn't work too well. She broke down putting her face in her hands as she cried.

Leigh-Anne rushed over to hug her daughter while Jesy read the paper.

"Babe" Leigh-Anne looked up when Jesy called her. She showed her the letter. Leigh-Anne frowned as well it must've been hard for Jade to read.

"Jade?"

"I'm never going to get the surgery! I finally saved up enough and they rejected me. Saying I don't meet the requirements. I have the money. Why does it matter!!"

"Why didn't you tell us that you wanted the surgery, baby? You said you didn't want it anymore. You haven't said anything to us about it" Jesy sat beside Jade pulling her hands away from her face.

"I'm grown now. Mommy said once I'm old enough I can get it if I want it." She cried.

"I did but I thought we agreed that we would do it together. You went on your own. You didn't even do it properly, that's why you were rejected babe.Let us help you"

"I dont need your help! You don't know anything!! Don't tell me why I was rejected. You're not the doctor so you don't know!!" She shouted at Leigh-Anne, tearing the paper up.

"Jade" Leigh-Anne called for her daughter, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"No. Leave her babe" Jesy could feel an argument coming and she didn't want that.

"I got it. Jade, it's not fair for you to get up and walk away from us when we're talking to you. It's also quite rude. You ask us to treat you like the adult that you are, yet you're acting like a child. Come here please" Jade stomped over to her parents with her arms crossed over her chest like a young child.