Cold War

"Bubba?" Leigh-Anne opened her eyes looking around for her toddler. She had lost track of time. She had no windows or phone to tell time, nothing. She got up off of the cold hard floor looking around the two bedroom apartment.

"No, no!" She rushed over to Jade grabbing her wrist before she could drink the water out of her hand. She looked up with a frightened look on her face.

"Sorry, Mama's sorry. But you can't drink that. It's dirty."

Jade whined jumping around.

"You're going to make yourself icky bubba, you can't drink toilet water. Daddy will be back soon and he'll bring water, okay?" Jade shook her head as she began to cry.

"I know. Let's see if the water is cool" before going to sleep Leigh-Anne boiled some tap water for them to drink since they didn't have any water supply besides from the faucet. She touched the pot, it was a little warm but cool enough for Jade to drink. She sat Jade on the counter so she could fill her cup and screw on the lid.

"Here baby" Jade took the cup before raising her arms. Leigh-Anne picked her up.

"Hm?" She asked when Jade mumbled something quietly.

"Cold mama"

"You're cold?" Jade nodded, sipping the warm water.

Leigh-Anne looked around for something to cover Jade up in. The place was bare. Nothing in it, at all. She decided to turn on the oven and sit with Jade in the kitchen.

"Don't touch this. It will burn your little fingers if you do, okay?" Jade nodded. It was only a matter of time before she reached out to touch it.

She giggled when Leigh-Anne grabbed her hand.

"Stop, you're going to hurt yourself." Leigh-Anne warned once again.

Hours passed and Leigh-Anne was wondering where her husband was. He left a few days ago to pick up some food and water and he hasn't come back yet. She was worried given all that was happening in their country but she knew he was okay.

Only that wasn't the case.

Happy Love Day❤