The New Girl [3]

[Im not too good at writing about physical violence/abuse because I've never really been exposed to it. Thankfully. But I'm trying]

Leigh-Anne laid in her bed, kicking her legs as she wrote in her journal. A huge smile plastered on her face. She couldn't stop thinking about her. It's been a few months now and she still hasn't left her mind.

"You're supposed to be asleep, no?"

"Oh, hi daddy. I was just uh. . . Looking for my cream for my skin. Mama said I must put it on every night after my shower before bed."

"I hope you've been listening. Your skin has gotten quite dark since working in the garden."

Leigh-Anne looked at the skin lightening cream on her dresser. She didn't put that on her skin. She smiled at her father before rubbing small amounts on her legs.

"Once you finish, get to bed, you hear me?"

"Yes. Goodnight daddy"

He walked out of her room not bothering to close her door. . . The door that she doesn't have. She had no privacy whatsoever.

She went to the bathroom and washed the cream off her legs before turning out the lights and going to sleep.

-

Leigh-Anne carried on writing and writing about her. It was the first thing she did every morning.  She would give a fully detailed recap of her dream which was almost always about her because she dreamt about her so much.

"Leigh-Anne!" She jumped looking at her mother.

"Yes mama"

"Why isn't breakfast ready?"

"I'm sorry mama. I'll get on it right now. . .I mean, I'll go make breakfast. Sorry." Leigh-Anne got out of the bed making sure to push the composition notebook under her pillow. No one cleaned her room, in fact she cleaned every room in the house so she didn't have to worry about anyone finding it.

"What is that? Is that a book?"

"No mama, it's a journal. It's not a book."

"Don't get smart with me, Leigh-Anne. Give it to me."

"Mama, it's empty, see" She flipped from the back of the book, being that she wrote in it so much it was only a few empty pages left.

"Give it to me" Leigh-Anne handed her mother the book, watching her closely. She was praying that she didn't open or read it. That's when she remembered,  her mother couldn't read.

She walked past her and made her way down to the kitchen.

She greeted her father, brother and sister in law before preparing breakfast.

"Alyssa, sweetheart."

"Yes mama, I'm coming" Landon looked at his girlfriend suspiciously but she told him not to worry. She went upstairs to her mother in law.

"May I come in?"

"Yes, come in"

"You can read, cant you?"

"Yes. . ."

"Can you read this for me please." Alyssa took the book reading over the barely legible handwriting.

"Out loud"

"Are you sure? it's quite private"

"Go on"

She began to read what Leigh-Anne wrote.

"I miss you every day. I wish I could still go to school. As much as I like to learn, I really like being with you. Playing around in the locker room and spending lunch in the library. You're the nicest person I know. You even stopped eating lunch in front of me so I wouldn't feel tempted. You taught me so much and you mean so much to me. I hope I can see you again. I heard my parents say that we might move but I don't think that will really happen because we don't have money. We're not poor but we don't have enough money to go to another city or town. I think they just said it to scare me and make me behave. I don't mean to be bad but. . .  I kind of like it. Not getting whippings or punished but skipping class? Is that what you called it? Like when we didn't go to class at all, racing and stuff. It made me happy and I miss it. I miss you. Sometimes I wish I was a boy. If I were a boy. I could do all these things and not get in trouble like my brother. He has a girlfriend. They go on dates and stuff. I can't do that. My parents only want me to marry. If i was a boy I could marry you and touch money and doors, Wear what I want, eat what I want. I would be free. I hate my life but you make me hate it a little less. I'm going to ask Landon if he can teach me how to mail these. I don't know how to but he said that's how you can send letters. We used to do it back home on the commune. Anyways, daddy is coming so I'll write to you tomorrow. Goodnight love ya."