For You [3]

"Mommy, I'm scared" Jade held onto Leigh-Anne's arm as they walked down an aisle at the supermarket. Many stared at the two as they stood out from everyone else.

"What are you scared of?" Leigh-Anne asked picking out ingredients for food that both Chris and Jade ate.

"I don't want anyone to hurt us, can I go get dad to walk with us?"

"Go ahead" Leigh-Anne knew that he wouldn't. She used to ask him to shop with her because people used to ask if she was a nanny or available to watch their kids. She found it so annoying but got over it.

She spent the next ten or so minutes trying to reach the thin spaghetti from the top shelf. Which wouldn't be a problem if her husband was here. . . But he wasn't.

"Don't do that, you'll fall. Do you need help?" She felt a hand on her lower back when she stepped on the lower shelf.

"Yes please" She spoke quietly, looking down.

"There you are. Be careful, little lady. Just ask if you need help. I'm sure everyone is more than willing to help a beautiful woman like yourself"

"Thank you" she watched the man put the pasta into the cart, in the right spot, keeping it organized and nearly fell in love. She wished she could see how attractive he was.

Back in New York it was fair to say women were treated as equal independent beings, for the most part. She would've had help if she asked for it but otherwise she would've been climbing shelves and okay with it.

"Can I help you?" Chris walked up to his wife pushing the man back a little bit.

"She's a married woman."

"Maybe you should put a ring on her, then people would know"

"Do you know who I am?"

"No. Do you know who I am?" Leigh-Anne wanted to see how this pissing contest played out. She pulled Jade away from Chris just in case he couldn't handle being 'beneath' someone.

". . .Under what firm?"

"A & A, I'm a partner"

"That's nice pal, but what do you think the 'A' stands for?" He flashed his business card and the man began to apologize, wanting to keep his job.

"Did he touch you, or try to flirt with you?" Leigh-Anne shook her head, she didn't even make eye contact with the man.

"Maybe I'll let you keep your job, after you spend a month doing coffee runs for me"

"Yes sir, I'm sorry about that" He apologized and scurried away.

"Wow dad! I want to be just like you when I'm older. He just got punked. Can you really fire him?"

"I sure can. Do you think I should fire him?"

"Yes-"

"Go get some heavy cream please"

"Dad and I are talking, mom"

"Very good, Jade.  Speak up for yourself. Tell her you don't want to"

"I don't want to-"

"I didn't ask. Go get the heavy cream." Jade sighed but went to get the stupid heavy cream.

"Stop putting in her head that she can speak to me however she wants. I won't tolerate it, her mouth is going to get her in trouble."

"I hope you aren't beating my daughter. It's child abuse, and I won't have her brought up in such a . . . barbaric way." Leigh-Anne ignored him. If it was one thing he couldn't control, it was her parenting. She would do what works best for her and that's that.