For You

"Jade"

"Yes mama" Jade put her book down walking over to her mother.

"Read this for me please, baby, I'm sorry" Leigh-Anne apologized handing her daughter the papers.

"It's alright, Mama. Don't worry." Jade hugged her mom with a smile before reading the paper.

". . .Equal opportunity for all students regardless of immigration status. Do you know what this means?"

"No. Do you know? I might have to ask someone"

"This means I can go to school, mommy. Please. Please can I go. Please. Please" Jade began to beg her mother. All she ever wanted was to go to school and interact with other people her age. She spent all of elementary and her first year of middle school online.

Leigh-Anne shook her head.

"Please mommy. I'll do anything. Please. Please"

"No."

"Please, mama. please"

"Jade! I said no."

"Why not!?"

"Watch your tone with me. You know why."

"Mama please. Can we just try"

"I said no, don't ask again"

"You don't even know what you're talking about. You can't even read. Maybe if you could you would see what it says right here." Jade stormed off going into the bathroom, slamming the only door in the studio apartment.

Leigh-Anne sighed, she felt bad enough as it was but she felt worse having her daughter throw it back in her face.

-

"Hi, yes. I need to speak to someone."

"How can I help you?"

"I need to know about. . . Um aliens here." Leigh-Anne spoke quietly. The woman chuckled.

"I can assure you that there are no aliens here, we're safe." She joked about the outer space creatures. Leigh-Anne looked at her with confusion written all over her face.

"I'm sorry, what did you need?"

"Do you take alien people?" Leigh-Anne asked again. She was so used to being called an alien that she didn't know the proper word for someone like herself.

"I'm sorry, I'm not following.

Leigh-Anne pulled out the paper showing it to the woman.

"Ohhhhh, okay. Follow me" Leigh-Anne followed her into an office.

"Yes, under the new law passed regarding equal opportunities, undocumented children can go to school with the risk of being deported."

"Can my daughter come here?"

"Yes."

"The police won't come to my house, right?"

"No. The police won't come to your house. All we need is her birth certificate and we can get her enrolled. Do you have her birth certificate?" Leigh-Anne nodded, handing the woman Jade's birth certificate.

"Your daughter is a citizen, ma'am. You don't have to worry about this."

"What?"

"She's not an alien. She was born here. It says 'The United States of America'." She pointed at the top of the laminated document.

"She's a citizen. Where were you born?" The woman could tell Leigh-Anne was born somewhere else as she spoke with a heavy accent but she couldn't pinpoint where.