Cold War [2]

Leigh-Anne's legs were going numb from holding Jade in her lap for so long. She pulled her sweatshirt over her head and laid Jade on it. She stood up looking through the cabinets. She knew she had to feed Jade. She found a can of beans on the top shelf. And figured that should do until Andre got home. She pulled the tin lid back before putting it into the oven that's been preheating for hours now.

"Mama"

"Mama's here bubba" Leigh-Anne sat back down pulling Jade into her lap. Jade couldn't sleep well without one of her parents being close. Leigh-Anne just wanted her to get some rest although she preferred they sleep at the same time so Jade doesn't do anything she had no business doing.

This plan was interrupted when a loud explosion was heard. Followed by frantic screams. Jade sat up clinging to Leigh-Anne.

"It's okay. It's okay" Leigh-Anne shushed Jade when she saw her on the verge of tears.

"Dada" she cried, holding Leigh-Anne tight.

"You want your dada don't you?" She felt Jade nod. She didn't blame her, she wanted him home with them too.

Since moving here life wasn't exactly easy but Andre was always there to make things better. Despite all the setbacks they faced as foreigners Andre provided for them. They were happy in their new home until this happened.

"Can mama see?" Leigh-Anne asked, gently pulling on her sweater that was in Jade's hands. She shook her head.

"No!"

Jade began to cry when she took it out of her hands.

"Shhh, sorry. Mama's sorry. I will give it right back." Jade continued to cry as Leigh-Anne took the hot can out of the oven and onto the counter to cool down.

"Here baby, it's nice and warm now. Do you want to put it on?" Jade nodded.

"Dont do that" Leigh-Anne wiped above Jades lip so that she didn't lick it before wiping it on her pants. She helped Jade into the warm sweater smiling when she saw the clothing swallowing her small body.

Leigh-Anne wiped her tears before sitting down with her.

Once the beans cooled down she grabbed a spoon and began feeding Jade. It was so quiet until she heard someone scream who she recognized as her neighbor.  She heard men shouting before more gunshots rang out.

She looked around. She didn't have anywhere to go with Jade. She stood up and moved from the door. Jade began to whine reaching for the can, she hadn't eaten in a while because Leigh-Anne had to ration out their food.

"Shhh" Leigh-Anne grabbed the can and took Jade into the bathroom with her locking the door. She told Andre she wanted to get out of here and he said they would. As soon as he got back. . . . He never came back.

An hour later someone began knocking on Leigh-Anne's door. Assuming it was her husband she opened it. Mistake number one.

The man grabbed her forcing her down to her knees. She already knew what came next. 

"Please. Please" She begged.

"Shut up!"

"Hurry up and shoot. We have other places to check"

Leigh-Anne flinched hearing the man cock the gun.

"Please! I have a baby." Her eyes filled with tears when the cold metal was pressed to the back of her head. She could hear her heart beating out of her chest. She closed her eyes hoping they wouldn't find and murder Jade before accepting her fate. Foreigners, especially those from the west, were targets. All of them. It doesn't matter where they come from. She wasn't even American yet she was still about to be murdered because America declared war on their country.