Part 99

Leigh-Anne and Jade got onto the school bus holding hands.

"Do you think Mommy will say yes, sissy?" Jade asked.

"Yes. Well maybe but I like my braids, Mommy took a long time to learn how to do it."

"But. . ."

"We can still ask, don't worry. I think she will say yes."

"I want my hair to be like hers" Jade frowned.

"It is like hers. My hair is not like hers."

"Oh. Okay. We can do our homework and then ask mama if she can take us to the hair place."

"Maybe"

-

"Jade, wake up. It's our stop" Leigh-Anne shook her little sister awake.

She let Jade walk in front of her and she got off after her. She heard laughter as they got off the bus but did pay attention to it.

They sat at the bus stop waiting for Perrie.

A woman walked out of her house, glancing at the girls. She did a double take before walking around the front of the bus stop to see what was up.

"Are you girls alone?"

"No we're waiting for mama"

"Don't talk to strangers Jade." Leigh-Anne whispered, pulling her little sister away from the random woman.

"I'm not going to hurt you" As the woman got closer Leigh-Anne backed away with Jade behind her. Jade was sandwiched in between Leigh-Anne and the glass.

"If you touch us I'm going to scream"

"I just want to help. Come I won't hurt you"

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Leigh-Anne hesitantly approached the woman and she was snatched up and never seen again.

Just kidding.

The woman turned both girls around, taking the hateful messages off of their backpacks. She crumbled them up trying to make sure that they didn't see the slurs and offensive language.

"What is that?" Leigh-Anne asked trying to see.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it. I'm going to wait with you until mama comes, okay?"

"Okay, what's your name, miss?"

"Jesy. You can call me Jesy."

"Okay."

The girls ran around the glass bus stop for a while before they sat down besides the woman.

"Do you have games on your phone?"

"I sure do" She handed Leigh-Anne her phone while Jade laid on her older sister, dozing off.

Perrie was a late to pick her girls up, she didn't expect to see them sitting with a stranger.

"Are you their mom?"

"Yes, yes. Girls." She tapped her daughter's who stood up

"Thank you so much for waiting here with them. I couldn't find my keys."

"That's alright. I um. . . Yeah, you're welcome. I don't think it's too safe for them to wait here by themselves. But I know you're probably busy. I live right there, if you'd like you can pick them up from inside." She wanted to tell Perrie about the things she found written on her daughter's bags but decided against it. It would probably break her heart. It wasnt right.

"If you want to, of course. I know I'm a stranger and all."

"No, yeah, that would be great. Thank you. I just don't think I have the money right now."

"No, that's fine. You don't have to pay me. I can watch them until you get here."

"We can try it out. I really appreciate it."

"No problem, have a nice day. Bye girls"

"Bye miss Jesy" the nine year old waved.

Perrie carried Jade and held Leigh-Anne's hand walking home.

"Mommy"

"Yes baby?"

"Picture day is coming up"

"Is it? Already?"

"Uh huh it's on Friday. Jade and I were wondering if we could have straight hair for our pictures."

"Straight hair?"

"Yes. Well. . . I like my hairstyle but Jade wants hair like all her classmates." Leigh-Anne kind of did too. A lot of people told her she would look prettier with straight hair. Students and teachers.

"I don't know about that babes. Jade is still little, she doesn't need her hair straightened, did you want your hair straightened too?"

"Yes please"

"For pictures?"

"Yes"

"But your hair is always curly in school pictures. Why do you want straight hair all of a sudden."

"I don't know. It's pretty."

"But your hair is pretty too, just the way it is. Jades too, everyone's hair is pretty"

Perrie let go of Leigh-Anne's hand to unlock their apartment door.

"Come inside baby"

Once everyone was in Perrie closed and locked the door. She laid Jade on the couch. She usually tried to keep them awake so they didn't mess up their sleep schedules but her baby seemed tired so she let her sleep.

It was only then that she noticed the red dot on her forehead.

"Did Jade paint today baby? Do you know?"

"Um no. I don't think so. She didn't tell me about painting."

Perrie found it strange but didn't think anything of it. She got a warm damp cloth wiping it off.

"Did that woman do anything weird or strange? Or something that made you uncomfortable, Leigh?"

"No, she took paper off of our bags."

"Out of your bag?"

"No, off of our bags. She let me play on her phone.I was a little scared at first and told Jade not to talk to strangers but I told her I would scream if she touches us. She said she just wanted to help and she did."

"I'm glad that she was a nice woman but don't always trust everyone so easily bub. Although she's nice she's still a stranger, right?"

"Yes. I'm sorry"

"That's okay, you're not in any trouble. Let's get you a snack so you can start your homework." Perrie hugged her daughter taking her into the kitchen.

"One for Jade" Leigh-Anne said picking up two packs of oreos.

"Okay, I'll wake her up in a minute."

-

As the girls were eating dinner Perrie decided to ask them about Jesy.

"Would you girls want to stay with Ms.Jesy after school for a little while mama finishes up some work?"

Jade shook her head.

"Yes!" Leigh-Anne wanted to and since Leigh-Anne said yes Jade nodded, changing her answer.

Of course Perrie had to do a background check. She didn't want to just leave her children with anyone but it would be a huge help

[Got part of this from a social experiment I watched. It was so heartbreaking. More to come sOoN.]

2022/10/25