Cold War [3]

A few weeks later:

Leigh-Anne wiped the sweat from her forehead. The higher ups have given the prisoners chances to work to earn certain rewards. Rewards that were basic rights, warm food and showers. Clothes in this freezing cold and a few other things.

"My inventory, sir" She handed the man the inventory that took her over two weeks to collect. She was responsible for counting ammo, explosives, protective gear and other equipment for the soldiers. She checked once, then double checked and counted once more just to be safe.

"Count again" he pushed the clipboard to her chest. Neither of the groups were too fond of her. The natives believed she knew about the invasion somehow.  While the Americans believed she was a spy and traitor to their British Allies.

"I've counted three times, sir"

"Count again, Pinnock" She sighed and began unstacking the crates and counting the bullets one by one.

"And hurry up" refusing to recount hundreds of thousands, probably millions of bullets she just made it seem like she was. The dumb guy didn't seem to notice. An hour and a half later she stood brushing her knees off.

"A fourth count, sir"

"Count again" Leigh-Annes shoulders dropped.

"I'm just kidding. You have twenty five credits. Use them wisely."

Leigh-Anne smiled watching the man clip twenty five tickets. He then clipped another five.

"Buy yourself some deodorant, you're too pretty to smell like this." She wanted to roll her eyes at the man who threw cold buckets of water on her, calling it a shower. But she politely smiled and made her way to the commissary.

"What do you want?"

"Can I have a fleece king size blanket?"

"That's ten tickets" Leigh-Anne counted out ten before handing them to the clerk.

"That it?"

"No, can I also have the kids kit please?" Leigh-Anne asked, pointing to the bath set for kids that included soap, lotion, a towel and small plush toy. They lowered the price to seven tickets, having to make it affordable for the new set of women and children that they brought in.

"Um. . . " She looked down at the thirteen tickets she had left.

"Can I have a shower bucket and deodorant" that was a total of five tickets.

With her last eight tickets she decided to get the girls something.

"Do you have toys?"

"You need to get your priorities straight" the man mumbled lifting a bucket of plush toys. She wanted to get Jane something too. She didn't feel right only buying something for Jade.

With her last four tickets she brought the girls some snacks, MRE's and herself three minutes in the shower at anytime which was good until a week from when she uses it. 

She pushed the rest of her tickets under the glass window and the door opened for her to take her bag.

"Thank you" she ran barefoot in the snow trying to hurry back to the building. She could hear screams as soon as she entered the staircase that led to the basement. She ran to her cell recognizing her daughter's screams.

Jade ran to her mother trying to climb up onto her as she frantically blubbered about what happened. Leigh-Anne could feel Jade's heart race against her own. A guard pushed both Leigh-Anne and Jade away from their cell.

"Okay, okay bubba. Calm down for mama. what happened?"

Jade hiccupped and coughed in between sobs as she pointed to the cell.