Chapter 1

"Ankoro Mocchi Mochi"a lich lifted a finger "Shijuuten Suzaku... Tabula Smaragdina... Peroroncino..."

Glancing at the hanging flags Momonga only sighed and closed his eyes.

Of course, given that displaying such emotions was impossible in the game — the legacy of the law limiting the realism of virtual reality — all that a person could do was to cover his eyes under his virtual helmet, feeling the wire from the plug uncomfortably crashing into his spine.

The existence of Satoru Suzuki was one worthy of pity.

Day by day, as a wordless slave of the future that became, as a small cog in the debugged mechanism of a huge mega-corporation which crushed all Japanese arcologies under itself. Living in a hopeless darkness of the future after the third world war. A man who has never seen the beauty of the night sky.

In his life, he had only one consolation - his radiant beauty, the DMMO-RPG "YGGDRASIL" and - his family that existed only inside this game. For twelve years he escaped from his gray, boring, mad world in order to plunge into the game, become a powerful black magician -a great lord of the undead, meet with forty of his friends, immerse himself in merry reckless adventures...

And now it's the end. Yggdrasil came to an end, as each beautiful story must.

What will happen next? How would he live without his Yggdrasil? Where else will he meet his family?

Satoru closed his eyes in pain. Not a physical one, but from something that is even more powerful and terrible.

The clocks were counting down the last seconds.

Fifty seven. Fifty eight. Fifty nine.

Well, that's all.

00:00

"S... Sen... Senp...ai" came a voice, as distorted and incomprehensible as if it was sounding from a distance "Senpai, wake up!"

"Ah..." he slowly opened his eyes to look at the source of the voice "A?"

"Senpai, what are you doing here?" the voice reaching him distorted, twisting and turning into an unperceivable white noise "Senpai, get up!"

Slowly looking at the girl who was trying to shout to him, Momonga blinked several times, then again and again, before...

His brain exploded with an understanding, unfamiliar terms burst into his brain with a hurricane of blades cutting in his subcortex. Servants, the Clock Tower, the call, the absorption of the soul, the body...

Apparently, his body, his mind, his abilities - he, the Momonga, the highest of all the undead, an Overlord, was embodied as one of these Servants and re-created in this world. However, for some unknown reason, he was recreated in this world. But not as a separate being - instead he took the body of an unknown mage and, unfortunately, the mage could not withstand such a clash of souls.

For a second, Momonga wanted to shout, but the understanding that such behavior would definitely not be seen as something positive made him instinctively reach for his existence as a Servant instead. After which this reflex action made him suddenly feel as if something had filled him with coldness, allowing his mind to take control of his body.

Having realized, however, a moment later, that he was still lying on the ground, Momonga leaned on one arm, after which he slowly stood up, trying to look around as discreetly as possible to determine exactly where he was at the moment.

Unfortunately, the memories of the previous owner of the body was not absorbed. Instead, the mind and soul of the man, that previously inhabited this body, was simply destroyed by the creature called Momonga. So, unfortunately, no part of his memory could answer the most important questions at the moment.