Chapter 182

In YGGDRASIL, there were many bosses – perhaps even more than the simple mobs.

Mobs, after all, were usually not opponents in the full sense of the word, but simply a source of resources, an additional danger, and sometimes just some irritant to players – especially for those who've reached the maximum level.

Killing mobs is called farming, after all.

Bosses, on the other hand, were in a completely different category. When Players finally got to the coveted level 100 – and, of course, finished the class quests designed for them and picked up the appropriate equipment, their main attraction would then be PvP. But not all players liked PvP. There would always be a decent portion of Players who did not want to do that. Players who simply were not attracted by battles with other Players, for many reasons, and who weren't seduced by all the kinds of Guild Wars.

In that case, bosses were the answer.

Trying your hand against someone who was much stronger in game design, but who could be defeated even so with the right strategy and tactics, is great fun. For a bored Player who has already figured out all the interesting quests and does not want to get involved in endless grind associated with building a base or endless clan and PvP squabbles, it was the only challenge left.

Considering the fact that even in YGGDRASIL, a game seemingly specially made to make a person pay for every opportunity that he had not foreseen in battle, designing a boss specifically geared to kill Players is a matter of course. So bosses in Yggdrasil were many, and their tactics and abilities were as varied as they come, and all the Players loved it.

Players that love base building, love the rare drops they offer for their created NPCs. Those that liked PvP loved the rare weapon drops or even just the materials to make better weapons. And then lastly, those that like PvE loved the challenge,

After the appearance of any new Boss, the next day at the latest, the forums would be ablaze with new threads. Those that claimed and bragged that they have killed the Boss, various posts about the Boss' abilities and weakness, or even just information about the Boss' location. Separating the truth from lies is the mark of a Veteran.

Of course, not all the Bosses were unique. Of course, simple and unsophisticated bosses based on the same mold certainly existed, it wasn't that hard to create yet another Warrior with huge health and huge attack. But most Bosses, even if they were similar in design, still differed from each other in some way and each could be a very unpleasant surprise to an unprepared player.

But it was impossible for any company in the world to create even a hundred completely unique bosses a month, so it was obvious which bosses were similar to each other in one way or another. Usually such bosses were created in packs, like the 'Thirteen Great Mages', or 'Seven Cursed Knights', or the 'Four Royal Fae Figures'.

Medb was part of the latter pack, a Boss pack divided into the Kind and the Unkind. Fairies were one of the races available to players with their features being their basic magical resistance, mana, a dozen unique classes, like every other race actually, and several innate abilities. Medb was one such leader of the fairies, the Queen of the Unkind – a mighty boss...

And one of the most disliked NPCs in the entire game.

In any poll, she was frequently competing solidly for the top positions of most hated NPCs, competing with the World Eater, the Lord of Álfheimr, and Samson, and Players had every reason not to like those.

Her quests always came with at least a few unpleasant features that, of course, the Player was never warned about. Furthermore, in her dialogue, she treated the player with disdain and contempt with most of the quests involving problems with the Players' favorite characters came down to her in one way or another. If you have any attachment to any characters in the game, Medb would probably have a quest to either kill them, or make them permanently hostile to you.