Chapter 85

Cainabel slowly lifted her umbrella forward then pointed it first to the not-Lancer, then to the stone-slinging probably-Archer. Someone not acquainted with Cainabel would say that such a gesture is a way of showing her doubts and worry in fighting two Servants. And in a way, it was true. However, these were not the gestures of a nervous fighter that is in a difficult situation - a warrior unsure of their ability in a battle with two opponents at once. But instead it is the indecision with which a restaurant patron would be at a loss in choosing between two equally tasty dishes in front of him, trying to determine which one to eat first, and which second. Given Cainabel's light dreamy reverie and her nature as a vampire, such a comparison was especially appropriate.

"You're strong, I feel that you're stronger than anyone I've ever fought before," the non-Lancer smirked, "but then again, I haven't met much..."

After the talk died down, chains burst from under the earth and encircled the not-Lancer, after which they sharply stabbed down back towards the ground, trying to force him to the ground. To Cainabel's surprise, the spell that was supposed to literally put the Servant on his knees only slightly affected him, forcing him to stagger instead.

"Oh," the not-Lancer looked at the chains surrounding him in surprise, then towards Cainabel, "Hmm, the fact that these chains affect me at all means you have some Divinity... True, it's not of a very high rank. Does this mean that you are some kind of petty elemental spirit?". Unknowingly, or perhaps not, the not-Lancer's words would elicit a huge reaction from Cainabel.

Cainabel possessed a huge, suitable to her position in the world, ego. As the First Ancestor, as an incredibly strong creature, and as one of the greatest vampires of all time, Cainabel considered herself better than many - this belief is not without reason. Cainabel was in many ways better than many.

The downside of having such a large ego was that Cainabel is very willing and proactive in protecting her ego from any attacks and any attempts to belittle her. Anyone suicidal enough to do such a thing, should expect an overwhelming retaliation.

Once, a long time ago and before her current incarnation, Cainabel was a goddess - a true, bonafide goddess. One of the gods who were born during the creation of the world. But, to her great regret, in her attempt to achieve an even greater amount of power she met Ainz. In spite of all the possible alternate worlds where she was defeated by other Players, she still considered Ainz to be the main reason for her downfall and her current 'reduced' state. Not that she would dare to complain in front of Ainz of course, she after all, is not suicidal

As much as she wanted to grouse more about this fact, it was not important, what was more important to know is that Cainabel was once a goddess - and only an unfortunate coincidence of circumstances made her lose most of her divinity. And although at the moment Cainabel did not have her divinity per se since she had lost her Elder Blood, and the fact at the moment only an echo of her divinity remained in her body - just like in Medusa - Cainabel was still a god. A full-fledged god. Even if one has to mention it in the past tense, she was still a god. And that milksop dares to mock her?

SHE.

WAS.

A.

GODDESS!

'Request for transformation into combat form' - an instant request from Cainabel to Ainz formed so quickly that she did not even have to think about it.

'Your third Noble Phantasm is completely forbidden' - Ainz answered with the same lightning speed - 'Besides... Have you really come across someone that strong?!'

'No' - Cainabel smiled - 'And I'm not talking about using my third Noble Phantasm. Only about my combat transformation.'

'Hmm...' - Ainz thought about it for a second, but in the end he relented - 'Well, I permit it. But! Keep your mind and don't lose control. And... Try to deal with the enemy as fast as possible. It seems that the Demon Kings have begun their plan.'