Chapter 166

When Dr. Romani entered the service of Chaldea, still under the direction of Olga-Marie's father, Lord Marisbury Animusphere himself, he was not entirely sure what exactly he should expect from his future work.

I mean, originally Romani was hired as nothing more than an intern in the medical wing, then a doctor after a short training. He then spent the next few years defending his title as a scientist and researcher, rising to head of the medical department and professional researcher in the meanwhile. So, with his position, it was impossible to call him a completely clueless and ignorant fool. Still, Dr. Roman's rise from mere intern to one of the most important people of the Chaldea was incredibly rapid, almost suspiciously so.

The time it took Dr. Roman to become one of the deputy chiefs in the Chaldea, for other people, is equal to the time they spent as interns to become the rank-and-file doctors in Chaldea.

Certainly, Roman had shown that he possessed a vast amount of knowledge, considerable amounts of it in fact, but it was clear to anyone that his incredibly rapid rise was a sign of Lord Marisbury's tremendous favoritism toward the newcomer. Someone who had come from nowhere had somehow gained a great amount of favoritism.

At the time, when Roman himself was just starting out in Chaldea, a great number of different - and generally far from positive, rumors continued to circulate regarding his personal relationship with Lord Animusphere.

It didn't help matters that Roman's position as the Lord's right-hand man, coincided with his somewhat strained relationship with Lev, who was a famous scientist and magus who had earned his position. It was easy to guess that Roman's authority and his relationships with his colleagues were not great.

And it wasn't entirely undeserved, even ten years was too short of a time for someone to rise to head of the medical wing.

For such an esteemed position, in addition to skills and knowledge, which Roman had barely any time to demonstrate, experience was also necessary. And, unfortunately, Dr. Roman was very lacking in that department.

Of course, Roman did not purposefully choose to remain the same inexperienced young man that he was originally, and quickly enough began to master his new position. But, having his career taken off so quickly, and on the eve of the whole Singularity crisis, he did not have time to get used to his new position until the end.

The same day Chaldea's first operation began, Dr. Roman had suddenly soared even higher than he had been before, from head of the medical wing to manager of the entire Chaldea.

Thankfully, before he could worry himself to an early graying of his hairs, his 'promotion' only lasted a little more than twenty-four hours. As Ainz returned from Singularity and brought back Olga-Marie Animusphere, who took the reins of Chaldea for herself.

And it was definitely for the best.

Roman did not have much experience in managing any significant groups of people, and was more used to acting on someone else's orders. So the fact that he did not end up in the role of managing the whole of Chaldea suited him just fine.

In his short time as commander of the Chaldea, Roman had clearly acquired at least a few gray strands of hair, he dreaded to think what would have happened to him if he had remained commander of Chaldea permanently.

After all, there was no ambitious bone in Roman's body, no desire to seize or hold power. Putting aside the fact that his power was practically useless in the current situation anyway, he didn't even want to be the head of the medical unit.

Working as an ordinary doctor and researcher suited him better, but Lord Marisbury had practically forced him into his head position, in which Roman, frankly, felt uncomfortable.