Chapter 171

Angrboda felt the appearance of the Servant that's right now chasing after Archer, at the same instant that Archer had tried to escape from him, the only difference between them was their distance to the Servant. When Archer sensed the appearance of the scarred Berserker, he was only a couple of tens of meters away. Angrboda, on the other hand, was tens of miles from her target.

It barely took Angrboda ten seconds to cover that distance.

Yes, she had promised Edison to obey his orders, to stand with his army and prepare to act on his orders. But who was Edison to her that she would even contemplate following his orders?

Ainz was the only one she was willing to listen to unquestioningly. And he had only instructed her to 'get inside one of the Servants' camps', an instruction that she had obeyed and completed adroitly.

There were no further orders from Ainz.

And so, when it came time for a change of plans, in her opinion anyway, she changed them, that's all. If Edison seriously expected her to fit into his plans, he was definitely even dumber than Tesla described him.

Besides, Ainz knows her and absolutely knows that there exists a Servant in this Singularity that she would do almost anything to kill. Her actions were already something that he had accounted for.

Angrboda's thinking, after all, was not too mysterious, it was surprisingly simple in fact, well at least in the matter of her attitude toward humans and monsters. The way humans treated other humans is similar to the way she treated monsters, if actually a lot more kindly. And the struggle between humans and monsters was the same for Angrboda as it was for the rest of the human race. Except in this case, Angrboda herself was on a different side from the one Humanity usually took.

How could people relate to a monster that prided itself on killing people? One that boasted of tearing humans apart and devouring their flesh? That they had become famous as a 'man hunter'?

For Angrboda, that monster was just a precocious child.

That's why Angrboda had traveled the entire distance separating her from the Servant, disregarding all of Edison's plans.

And that's why she didn't care about the Archer, who was now running away from both her and the Servant, or the other Servants and the other battles going on around her. She only cared about getting her hands around the neck of the Servant, the Berserker, who had been blown away by her first strike.

The Servant, Berserker, after passing through several buildings, finally stopped flying like a cut kite.

Watching her target, Angrboda could see the Servant rising from the cloud of dust and stone crumbs, his bluster nowhere to be seen.

There was no sense of relaxation or even firmness in his gait; in his steps, Berserker, a Servant of great power and beastly fury, staggered slightly before his face emerged from the cloud of dust.

His face, however, was twisted into a smile, not the kind he'd shown Archer before, but the beastly grin of a beast that had just smelled blood. There was nary a faint spark of reason in his eyes left, now drowned with rage, mirth, and... Anticipation.

"I know you," A moment after these words, there was a sound of dry crackle coming from Berserker's sides. Leaning on his leg, Berserker didn't even pay attention to the fact that one of his legs could barely keep its straightness, bones poking out in several places.

Instead, his full attention was on Angrboda, a wicked grin plastered on his face. "You are the Mother of Grendel... No, something more, you are like the beast that birthed Grendel, but you are much, much stronger."