Chapter 92

Baal could hear what his Master had just told his Servants just fine, he lost a hand not his hearing. So, the fact that he could not understand what he had just heard at all, must be from his lack of ability that he could not see what his Master planned to do.

Perhaps the plan to kill Poseidon was nothing more than misdirection? The Master did divulge his plan while Focalor, fully tamed as he might be, was present. After all, to kill Poseidon is a mistake, not to mention impossible. What's more, such a fact is easy to figure out.

The current Singularity was unstable, an instability born from the conflict between two Grails. One supporting the 'correct' history of mankind, and the second, the source of the 'distorted' history.

Poseidon, a Divine Spirit, the Lord of the Oceans, who is resting in the most advantageous position for him in the Singularity, is a supporting pillar that kept the unstable Singularity from just unravelling. Poseidon, by his very existence, served as an anchor of stability for the Singularity. His divine power leaking from his maddened state kept the Singularity as stable as it could be, like glue holding a cracked broken plate together.

The death of the Divine Spirit meant only one thing. Without his strength and support, the entire fake world of the Singularity would be without the last thing that kept it in a relatively stable state. Of course, the Singularity would not collapse instantly - however, the instability of the Singularity would increase to such a point that it was hardly possible to predict what would happen. Perhaps gravity would cease to function?

And even if, for some incredible reason, Ainz, Master of Baal, a monstrously strong Supreme Being whose incredible mind and experience is so vast that even words like 'eras' or 'eons' would be insulting to describe his history, had insufficient knowledge to understand the full significance of the Divine Spirit for the Singularity, there is still another reason why fighting Poseidon is the wrong thing to do. It was a very simple reason, obvious to any living creature smarter than a worm, stone or Cainabel, fighting the 'Lord of the Oceans' in an unstable pocket dimension consisting mostly of oceans was not the wisest of decisions.

And so when Baal realized that the ship he was on was indeed heading towards the location where the crazed Poseidon is. And his Master, instead of preparing for battle with the Greek God instead seemed to be fussing over Mashu. Baal felt an incredibly rare emotion that he hadn't felt in a very, very, long time.

Confusion.

Ainz could not have possibly made such a banal and stupid mistake, miscalculation, or even oversight. It was simply impossible and unimaginable. One does not need to possess his great intelligence to see that fighting Poseidon is a mistake, even the most banal and primitive level of adequacy that any living person - or Servant - had to demonstrate to live more than a few seconds after their birth, could.

And so Baal could not come to any other conclusion except that it was all part of a grandiose plan - a plan that Baal himself could not see through.

Why is he shaking? Is he... Scared? No, rather, he was mesmerized - like one would tremble in awe when he's in front of a tsunami.

What ingenious plan did Ainz create, so much so that this Baal could not even cast a glimpse at its complexity? What goals did he pursue in an act that could not be described in any other way other than as absolute stupidity? What grand strategy is he planning?

Perhaps Baal should ask his Master for his plan? Baal had no doubt that his Master would indulge his curiosity and reveal his plans to Baal. Only if he wanted to of course or if he thought that Baal could serve some purpose in his plans, Baal has no delusions of his place in his Master's service. But what if Ainz had not revealed his plans to him for a reason? Or, even worse, what if his Master did not divulge his plan because he expects it to be obvious for a competent Servant to see? What would the Master do were he to reveal to his Master that he hadn't been able to understand his master's plan? Would his Master think of him as incompetent? This must not pass. Should he now plunge himself into a crazed feverish attempt to figure out his Master's plan? He must, he can't lose face in front of Master, not with that fool Cainabel chasing at his heels.