Chapter 142

After the meeting with the twins, if one could call the disaster that, Ainz returned to his room. A place where he spent almost a day trying to digest what he had just witnessed.

Did he regret what he had done?

No, no, and no matter how many times it takes for him to repeat it until it's etched into the world itself, no. Perhaps this was Ainz's main problem as a boss.

He felt that he had to empathize in one way or another with the two sisters who had done, to him, an almost unforgivable act. But, he did not empathize with them at all. Yes, perhaps he felt somewhat unpleasant, one way or another, from the fact that he caused two of his Servants to cry. Especially when he had already staked his name to protect them for the sake of Medusa when he accepted them as his own Servants.

But, nothing more.

Ainz felt no remorse at the 'punishment' that he had bestowed upon them. No empathy for their motives, and he would not be making any attempt to 'put himself in their shoes' so to speak. He felt no forgiveness for their sin.

Not as Ainz Ooal Gown, but as Suzuki Satoru. He, truly, cannot forgive them.

Stheno and Euryale had committed an inexcusable sin, whatever their reason might be. And they were punished for it, by his own hands in fact. Some people would have called it justice, in a sense.

Ainz sighed, he needed to talk to someone, someone like Touch Me... Ha, he would really like to talk to Touch Me about this issue. What is 'justice' and how to properly administer it.

Alas, Ainz could not get an answer from his friend, no matter how he wished for it. And therefore, had to rely solely on his own judgment. And, Ainz, in all honesty, was forced to admit that, in the end, after everything that had happened, he considered his attitude to be the correct one.

It was possibly abnormal, Ainz did not take pleasure in seeing the twins cry and found the scene itself repulsive. He even found it to be 'just' even.

A suitable amount of penance for a horrid sin.

And if he were to boil down his lengthy reflections on the matter, which had lasted several hours, this is what Ainz's main idea boiled down to.

"My actions were correct, even if they and I did not like it."

In the end, after a long period of reflections lasting till midnight, Ainz was able to find his center once again, shake his head and add another detail to his understanding of himself, resolving another conflict in his soul.

Was the story of Ainz and the twins finally over? No, of course not. Unfortunately or fortunately, it was unlikely that Ainz could even imagine what the end of the relationship would look like when it came to what had happened. Of the two appropriate endings of this... conflict of theirs, perhaps that was how one could describe what is going on between them, none of the endings looked realistic.

Ainz was not going to admit his guilt no matter what happened, since he felt none, so this avenue to end the conflict was swept aside. The second possible ending, that the twins could forgive Ainz and admit that he was right - also looked extremely unrealistic.

As a result, in other words, Ainz was not sure that this conflict had any endpoint at all...

"I wish Genjiro was here... " Ainz sighed. "As a professor, he would surely be able to tell me what is the best thing to do in this case... Or... Genjiro was a professor right? Yes, it seems he was the one... "

Ainz sucked in a deep breath of air and leaned against the wall, staring blankly at the clock. As he looked at the hour and minute hands, it was already twenty past one in the morning... he was lost in his head again.