Chapter 118

While there are several possible views on the true nature of Servants, whether they are just spirits taking on an imprint of human legends, or are they really the legends themselves walking the Earth again their power is not a matter of debate. No Magi would be insane enough to think that their capabilities are in any way comparable to a Servant. While the truth of the matter is only known to very few very insular Magi families, and the Wizard Marshall, but nobody is crazy enough to ask, few magi would argue that Servants are not in a certain way legendary, with abilities and stature in accordance to their vaunted position.

And yet, when they would be asked to describe a battle between two Servants, few of even the most imaginative magi would be able to describe it more vividly than a 'battle between two Servants'. Perhaps their lack of imagination is quite the condemnation against the current Magi society when they had birthed such unparalleled creative minds in the past. A sentiment that would probably be shared by the two combatants currently clashing.

The battle between Da Vinci and Paracelsus truly could not be called anything other than a clash between legends.

Great magus versus great magus. Genius scientist versus genius scientist. Hero versus hero.

Paracelsus had summoned an earth elemental, into whose core the legendary Philosopher's Stone was enthroned. The golem was installed with a catalyst of such power that many modern magi would sacrifice everything to get even just a sliver of it without hesitation. With it the golem was comparable in strength with a Servant of the Berserker class. While his movements and attacks did not shine with particular grace or a polished style - simply an expression of raw, uncouth power, a single graze would pulp a Servant. According to all logic, even the most powerful Servants would not take any a blow from such a strong opponent lightly.

And yet, Da Vinci, which, according to all the stereotypes about the Caster class, had very unimpressive physical parameters, even for a magus, simply put her hand against the blow of the huge elemental. When the elemental's fist impacted Da Vinci's, contrary to all laws of physics, the great bulk of granite staggered and creaked as its body began to crack. The elemental then took a step backward as if it was pushed. Then, beginning from the golem's fist, it shattered into dust-.

"Hmm..." - Paracelsus carefully examined Da Vinci's movements, taking note of even the smallest details - "So... Hmm, it looked like she had redirected all the kinetic energy from the elemental's impact on her hand. In the moment of impact she had instantly collected it, and then directing it in the opposite direction. An excellent strategy - an earth elemental that absorbed the philosopher's stone was not an opponent who can be easily defeated using normal attack vectors. Turning the golem's own strength, equal to his toughness, against itself is the simplest and most logical possible action. "

Such an elaborate observation and theory crafting did not take even a tenth of a second in the mind of Paracelsus, disappearing as quickly as it appeared. Satisfied with his observation, his mind becomes fully focused again on tactical plans and a mind that collects and creates great spells with the most complex of details on the go.

"O' wind!" The tornado that rose could easily become the main topic of news headlines in national newspapers for several weeks, if not months, but for both sides it was nothing more than a distraction. "O' fire!

A moment later, the rising vortex was entwined with fiery sparks, turning the raging tornado into a fiery inferno, devouring everything in its path - after which it fell on Da Vinci.

A moment later, a weightless whitish haze rose around Da Vinci, like a small cloud of steam. The vortex that collided with it, as soon as it tried to swallow the smoke screen, crumbled, as if it had lost all its cohesion, turning the fiery tornado into nothing more than a hot wind that passed in a wave in all directions.