Chapter 34

At the moment when Caster stopped moving, affected by Chevalier's Phantasm on his mind, Serenity only hesitated for a second, after which, immediately taking advantage of the distraction, she rushed away.

Caster, powerlessly frozen, as if struck in awe by the first time he saw the sunrise, only managed to think this last thought.

"Damn you, Chevalier," he sighed, feeling his mind sink into the captivity of Saber. " I had every reason not to trust you..."

After that, Caster's gaze was lost in the beauty revealed to his mind. It seemed to him as if he had once again found himself there, far, so far...

It was as if he again was slowly leading his horse through fields of wheat, and in front of him was his Jeanne. Smiling, she casually held her banner with her left hand, brushing the bangs from her forehead with her right, trying to stay on the horse moving forward. And Gilles himself smiled at her, looking at how the girl was trying to act as an adult and to be strong, to appear in the eyes of the soldiers following her, as a symbol of the victory of France. It was as if he again was now moving to the camp, where he would have to slurp a pot of disgusting camp soup, and then, hiding it from Jeanne, pull out a bottle of wine from the cart, which he hid just in case. It was as if he was waiting for a long planning of the attack again, and then a sound sleep until the next day, after which he would rise again in the morning. He will smile at Jeanne, who woke up early again, after which he will invite her to a nearby field, where he will train her to fight with swords. Of course, in the end he will win, but not strike the last blow - Jeanne herself admits defeat - after which Gilles will begin to teach her the correct stance, and then - the right hit.

As if he was reliving the distant days of his life ...

Chevalier's Phantasm stopped unexpectedly - as if at some moment Gilles suddenly realized that distant memories were only memories - and now he was here. He fought under Orleans, again. Again with Jeanne, but now...

Caster's shoulder suddenly echoed in pain, forcing him to grab hold of it- and discover the blade. The small dagger used by that Assassin. While running away, she nevertheless took the time to throw poisoned weapons at him. And that meant only one thing.

Gilles de Ré, the Caster of the Dragon Witch, was dying.

No, he would not die now - even if Assassin was dangerous, like her poison - it would take a long time before he died. However, he will inevitably die.

Caster looked at the monsters he had called. During the battle with the girl, many of them died - many parts of the bodies, cut up tentacles and dead carcasses of monsters lay around him, sometimes languidly twitching in their death throes. However, none of the monsters that were injured will survive. Not even a couple of minutes.

Caster was a Servant - he was much more powerful than his summoned monsters, and the dose of poison that he received with the attack was minimal. But still he will die soon. That was a fact.

But not so soon.

Caster smiled.

But not as soon as his enemies would hope.

At that moment, the earth shook beneath him, after which the monsters called by the mage, the thoughtless monsters, suddenly began to look around, and those who only thoughtlessly pulled the tentacles began to twitch their whole bodies, as if trying to escape from Caster's magic.

Slowly new tentacles began to rise from the earth, however, instead of the expected dozens, hundreds pushed up, almost merging with each other into a single forest of hungry hands rising to the sky. The monsters, previously under Caster's control, were taken up by tentacles, which dragged them inside an ever-growing lump.