Chapter 44

An empty plain, hills and uncultivated green fields stretching around as far as the eye could see is what greeted Ainz in the new Singularity.

For a second after the reyshifting, Ainz simply stood where he was, looking around his surroundings, trying to determine exactly where he and his Servants were — however, it was useless. Almost in all directions, only empty green fields could be seen, sometimes alternating with wildflowers and trees scattered around the empty plains.

"Everything here looks very peaceful" - the skeletal magician did not fail to remark to himself.

"Wow," a second later came the voice of Cu Chulainn, distracting Ainz from his contemplation of the peaceful environment around him, "That thing in the sky from the previous Singularity is also here."

Hearing what Caster said, Ainz looked up at the sky to see exactly what he had seen before in the sky of Orleans. A clear, blue, peaceful sky with rare, slowly passing white clouds in the sky, in the middle of which there's a spot of darkness as if someone had spilled black paint, spilling it into a huge, perfectly round, black spot, which seemed to be able to absorb the sky with its crushing emptiness.

"Hm" - Ainz grunted vaguely - "So that thing is also here... Problem - but on the other hand it proves that the Singularities are interconnected..."

"So that's the thing that you were talking about then," Ainz turned his head to hear the quiet voice of Medusa who is currently lifting her head into the sky, she is watching the strange phenomenon.

"Indeed," Ainz blinked in understanding. "She couldn't see the sky of Orleans before, hmm..."

Seeing Medusa without a mask was somewhat unusual. Now her mask is dangling freely around her neck, like a scarf or a strange necklace, while the girl looked at the world - and the sky - through the glasses that Ainz had given her. And although this should not have been such a significant detail - the girl with glasses now looked completely different than what Ainz used to. On the other hand, if Ainz was to make a comparison, then he would definitely say that the glasses looked pretty good on her.

"So, where are we?" the Witch's voice distracted Ainz from his thoughts and contemplations, "I also wonder what this thing is in the sky - but this can be dealt with later."

Ainz had no idea exactly where they are. He was not strong in geography - just as he was not strong in many other things, so all he could say was that they were somewhere not far from Rome, probably.

"My lord," the remark from Cainabel drew the attention of Ainz, "I'm sorry, but perhaps you would like to know that a battle is happening not so far from here."

"A battle?" Ainz looked at the girl, to which she nodded.

"Yes, my lord," Cainabel smiled at Ainz, bowing, "And a lot of people are participating in this battle... And also two Servants."

"Hm," Ainz grunted thoughtfully. Right off the bat, then? A battle immediately after their entrance into the Singularity - it was even in some sense expected for Ainz - "Are the Servants fighting monsters or people?"

"My lord," Cainabel smiled again, trying to look as kind as possible, "I can't say for sure, but as far as I can judge, there are no monsters participating in this battle — at least I can only feel the blood of people and Servants in this battle. The Servants are... fighting among themselves."

"So that's how?" Ainz looked thoughtfully at the girl.

Until that moment, he did not have to meet with the Servants while they are fighting each other. No, of course, in the Singularity, his allies fought with the Servants of the Witch, but he had never succeeded in stumbling into an occasional battle between the Servants.