Chapter 125

As the Sword of Promised Victory, Excalibur was rightfully considered the greatest of King Arthur's swords, the shining blade of the King-that-was-promised. However, as a fairly large number of people know, Excalibur was not rightfully the sword of King Arthur. It was not the sword that made King Arthur, king. No, the most interlinked of Swords for King Arthur, the one closest to her heart, would be the Sword of Selection. The famous sword-in-stone, the one with which the history of the King of Knights began, was Caliburn, the shining blade of the king. Only later, after losing Caliburn in battle did Arthur receive Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake, a blade better known and much more strongly associated with Arthur than Caliburn itself.

The difference between the two blades was significant — the blade of the future ruler of all of Britain — and the sacred blade of the King-that-was-promised — and yet there were some similarities between the two. First of all, was their possessor, no one except King Arthur carried either Caliburn or Excalibur with them and none other could use them. That is of course barring some ridiculous happenstance where someone is so closely intertwined with the concept of 'Sword' that they can wield all swords, a concept so ridiculous that that person is more likely to have a Reality Marble than for such a series of events to occur. Second was their nature as Holy Swords of the highest caliber. Third, both of the swords would give its wielder eternal youth, although in the case of Excalibur it is the property of its sheath rather than the blade itself. Fourth, and perhaps most important of all, being anywhere near when its power is unleashed is usually regarded as a really bad idea, worse if you were for some reason decided to stand in front of it.

However, among the many wonders, great artifacts, priceless relics and holy swords hidden in the depths of Camelot's Treasury, there was another legendary blade. Which was, of course, like every little thing of Camelot, was the possession of King Arthur. As great as its significance to King Arthur, he would never wield it, nor by him was it broken.

Clarent is one of the legendary swords of its era - the sword of the King. A ceremonial sword that was not intended for battle - but as a symbol of power, as the power of the kingdom, embodied in the hands of one who directs this power and as a symbol for peace. In the hands of the king but not King Athur. A sword for the successor, a sword representing the peace after a lifetime of bloodshed, a sword that would not have any blood on it. Alas the best plans of mice and men.

As it was planned, King Arthur would have spent his measured time on the throne where he would be succeeded by a king better suited for times of peace. But still neither the broken Caliburn nor Excalibur would remain in the hands of the next king, the next king of Britain would wield Clarent instead. A blade that embodied not the lofty metaphorical ideals of the pinnacle of knights, but the power of the King.

Regrettably or not - the next King of Britain, Arthur's son, did take over Clarent when he decided that Arthur's reign was over, though perhaps not in the way that is expected. And Clarent, not a cursed blade, but only an indifferent metal, albeit endowed by powerful magic, embodied what it has always embodied. The authority of a King.

After all, Mordred did not rebel alone, and her rebellion was not a desperate scrambled attempt by a pitiful handful of traitors to take power. Even if Mordred hadn't taken Clarent with her own hands - or even if Arthuria hadn't died in the battle of Camlann - that still wouldn't have meant Arthuria wouldn't have lost the war for her own kingdom. Clarent, the King's blade, reflected what it always has.

Mordred had led armies, led the masses, and led the knights. Isn't that what the King is required to do?

No, not only that.

Anyone can become a King - just a crown, some honeyed words and a kingdom - but not everyone can remain a King. After overthrowing Arthuria, Mordred became King. For a moment, she led the soldiers into battle. And Clarent answered her - like a new King.