Chapter 97

"He's quite tenacious," Ainz remarked with some respect at the Berserker charging him.

Ainz's battle with Megalos, if you could call it that, was like a very aggressive game of catch-up. If only against a cripple. Ainz used his uttermost cheating capability to its fullest and proceeded to teleport and attack from afar again and again. Forcing Megalos - or, as Ainz himself called him in his thoughts, 'Heracles, but bigger and angrier'- to jump after Ainz over and over again, only to get one charge of magic to the face then another. Like a demented sisyphean task where Sisyphus gets rolled over by the boulder as it tumbled down.

"Only four percent left... finally." Ainz exhaled a tired breath while sending another bolt of lightning. Megalos's health was predictably reduced by another two percent, as it is displayed in Ainz's 'See Life' spell as a barely flickering light in his opponent's chest, ready to die out from an unfortunate gust of wind. Casting another spell a second before his opponent could gather himself from the charge of electricity, Ainz sent the last spell to end the battle - "Acid Mist".

A cloud of poisonous green gas rose up around the figure of the dying monster. It instantly dissolves the ground under him with the ease of hot metal being poured onto ice, poisoning plants and leaving only a vapor of deadly particles. Megalos could barely take another step before the poisonous cloud reached his body. The deadly mist engulfed the bulk of the invincible warrior that a second ago could frighten any Servant by issuing a piercing howl. An instant later, Megalos' skin and flesh slowly slipped away from his bones according to the laws of physics, as the acid mist destroyed every bond that could hold Megalos's body together. With its flesh sloughing off, the monster fell first to its knees - and then to the ground, sprinkling the acid-covered beach with its almost black blood. Blood that, after a second, foamed and started dissolving to.

Ainz, seeing the now dead Berserker however, was in no hurry to descend to the ground. He continued to hover in the sky only lowering himself slightly in order to see his defeated opponent better.

"Summon Undead: One" - After a second, Ainz cast a spell to summon a first-level skeleton. Which, obeying the will of its creator, took several steps towards the corpse.

Ainz could see a large amount of mana coalescing on what's supposed to be a dead body. A body of a creature similar to Heracles continued to lie on the ground, with a large amount of mana worried him somewhat. So he sent a scout forward.

The brainless skeleton made several steps forward, without fear it entered the cloud of floating poison, relying only on its undead invulnerability to such an element, It approached the dead body of Berserker...

Only to scatter as a cloud bone shrapnel after a second.

Megalos's hand, which had lost its skin and part of its muscles, closed confidently on the shaft of his huge ax which just evaporated the skeleton. After which Megalos let out a deafening roar. All this done while still looking like nothing more than a rotting corpse lying on the ground.

The mana wave that was harmless by its very nature. However, Ainz still preferred to move a little away from the seemingly defeated opponent, and then observe him from afar.

Megalos's body, disfigured by the spell that killed him, slowly seemed to grow back. Where the wounds were especially deep, Ainz could see flesh grow very quickly. From the inside then outward, the regenerated flesh was now covered with gray skin again. A skin with blood-red cracks pulsing with pure hatred and anger covering it. The Berserker now looked as he was before.

"Revival?" - Ainz glanced at the quickly regenerating health that was refilling back to its original value - "No, rather, some type of regeneration that activates when his health bar is empty..."