Chapter 181

Luckily for Ainz he managed to return to his room without once again encountering any urgent problem. Or rather, knowing his own luck, it wasn't because of it at all – maybe there were some invisible laws, according to which there was a maximum concentration of events that could be distributed according to Ainz's schedule. Even Mashu had left his chambers, and for a time, Ainz wasn't even prepared to speculate on its duration, he was actually alone.

Just in case, though, having closed the door behind him and checked his inner dwelling for any intruder, and, to his satisfaction and even faint surprise, found no Servant inside his room. There were no Kiyohime ready to jump out of the shower at a moment's notice, or Da Vinci hiding under his bed, scribbling on her notebook, nor was there Roman screaming that he was needed for some urgent matter.

At least, for now, seeking to not tempt Murphy anymore, Ainz simply accepted that he was indeed, even for a short moment, free.

Ainz wasn't going to look for the secret prerequisite for acquiring this rare event – he simply took his chance and a moment later plopped down on his bed, carefully placing his head on the pillow – all without undressing first. Again, knowing his luck, the number of people who could suddenly burst into his room in the middle of the night was too many to count.

Ainz closed his eyes, then, after fidgeting a little to find the best position for comfort, tried to clear his head of all thoughts.

To some regret, and even to Ainz's dismay, he could not sleep.

For many other things, this was a positive feature, considering the fact that it added hours to Ainz's ability to do things. But, Ainz was also deprived of the extremely appealing opportunity to be deprived of his thoughts for a few hours, to cool his head – and to wake up a completely new person, approaching old problems with a new perspective.

In addition, another issue was that his mind simply could not cope fully with all the information he received while awake, thus adding to his mental load. Even though his body could ignore the physiological need for sleep and while his thoughts were not confused after several days of wakefulness – these thoughts tended to accumulate. People managed to accumulate so many thoughts in a single day that they began to be distracted, returning again and again to the same dilemma as they began thinking in circles. So was also the case with Ainz.

After many days or even just a week without sleep, Ainz had to go to bed and clear his mind of past thoughts so that they would not distract him even more than necessary.

It wasn't ideal – it was always harder to make a man not think about things than the other way around, but, unfortunately, without the ability to actually escape his problems – he had no other choice.

Besides, it's somewhat good that an occasion where he could clear his head came so rarely, constantly forcibly clearing his mind of thoughts, sometimes Ainz fears that he forgot about important things... He guessed. It was impossible to say with absolute certainty what he was forgetting – that was the phenomenon of forgetting, after all.

But that was simply a risk he had to take, there was no other way for Ainz to go either, being a raid leader being confused would spell doom. So, as much as he could to rest well, he covered his eyes and first massaged his temples, then stroked the bridge of his nose and tried to make himself a little more comfortable. Relaxing as much as he could, trying to clear his mind of everything, leaving only a pleasant emptiness afterwards.

In fact, as he thinks about it a little more, there's actually no more source for more difficulty at all!

Medb probably wouldn't kill him... probably. For all her reputation, in YGGDRASIL she showed no desire to actually destroy the player, not directly at least. I mean, of course, actually doing her quests would definitely end in the Player dying, but they were quests – and all Players had the option to refuse to do them, without any problems later on.