Chapter 183

Most of the Servants in the Throne of Heroes are selfish in one way or another.

There was, after all, nothing wrong with a little selfishness in itself, the ability to follow one's own beliefs and for one's own sake, to achieve one's own goals, was a positive trait rather than a negative one. A certain amount of willpower and perseverance were required of anyone to become a hero, someone who might one day become a Servant.

From this point of view, most Servants of the Throne of Heroes are indeed selfish. Far from being arrogant or greedy, with some exception, but at least in terms of their perception as standing above most ordinary people.

After all, it was true. The weakest of Servants was still far superior to the average human and even to the average magus – as far as the magi themselves could be called 'ordinary'.

Most of the Servants, on the other hand, were at such a level of strength and ability that to say that they were better than the common man would be simply the truth of life.

And yet among the Servants there were strange exceptions, such as those who could not be called 'selfish' in any way. Servants who, despite their apparent ability, are humble

Like, for example, Karna.

Oh no, he was definitely strong in his convictions, but the word 'selfish' just couldn't stick to his figure.

The great hero of the poor, the hero of generosity, the heroic Karna was such a person that just looking at him made any beholder want to rather apologize for all their preconceptions about Servants.

Though, of course, he could not be called the one who found contact with new people easy. For all his willingness to answer any question from anyone he just met, to sacrifice everything easily for a new friend – so long as it was not against orders, of course, Karna was not particularly good at communication. But of all the Servants, perhaps he is the closest to the common people of Chaldea, hiding in the corners from the gaze of the mighty heroes of humanity.

That is only in theory, though. It was difficult to verify such a fact in practice, considering that after receiving his first order from Ainz, Karna went to the room assigned to him and... Did nothing else.

As said before, Karna's action was primarily guided by his allotted orders, and seeing that he was not a very social person? Well, when he received an order first from Ainz to 'listen to what the chief says', and then from the chief herself to 'go to your room for now', he did just that and nothing else.

He went to his room and, closing the door behind him, remained in the quiet emptiness of the room.

Seeing that Servants did not need any sustenance, he could stay in his room for a long time.

Karna waited for the first thirty minutes standing near the front door, waiting to see if any further orders would follow. Fortunately, as a Servant, much less being one of the strongest Servants of the Throne of Heroes, he had no fear of fatigue from such activities or even stiff limbs.

However, after waiting for a long enough time, as far as he himself could understand, and receiving no further orders, Karna did allow himself to move from his waiting place and cast a glance at the room assigned to him.

Chaldea's living quarters were almost all uniform. Furnished with a double bed, a desk with a computer on it, a screen with a speaker over it, a closet, a pair of chairs, a bedside table with a small lamp, a mirror hanging on the wall. Inside the room is another door that led to a bathroom that included a shower. In other words, the Chaldea workers, for whom such rooms were originally intended, were not supposed to be particularly luxurious. But for Karna, his current abode was already luxurious enough.