Chapter 99

Jason knew he was acting recklessly. No, reckless is not the word Jason could use to describe his suicidal act.

The most idiotic thing he will ever do in his life. Which is a very high bar considering his death and existence as a Servant. At the very least 'stupid' would describe some of the idiocy of taunting a berserked Heracles..

Jason could not think about it more, the monstrous ax of Megalos approaches with a speed that even the fastest of Servants could barely react to. For Jason, he barely had the time to lift his sword in defense.

The blow was terrible.

For a second, Jason felt as if his body was crumbling to ashes, as if every bone in his body had broken like twigs. The wind from Megalos' ax was so strong that the entire beach behind Jason was simply blown away by the shock wave. Furthermore the bare ground that was left after the sand disappeared cracked like glass. The sound of the impact was not inferior to the sound of Mashu's attack, it was as loud as a castle impacting the ground..

And yet, despite everything...

Jason held out. Jason still stood on his own feet.

Still, the one blow of Megalos caused Jason's hands to become numb and his legs felt like jelly.

Jason continued to stand.

"One down..." - Jason breathed out mentally - "Many more to go..."

Megalos, as if slightly surprised by what had just happened, still did not pause for even a second, instead striking another blow.

Jason's blade, barely held in Jason's hands, shot up again, standing in the path of Megalos.

One more apocalyptic hit was struck. A blow of such force that it could easily have split the entire island if it had just hit the ground. But still...

Jason held out.

The fact that Jason continued to fight could not be explained by any other word other than 'miraculous'. Perhaps the very fact that someone like Jason was able to withstand the blows from Megalos could independently spawn a legend that would have given birth to another Servant.

Megalos' third blow fell again on Jason's blade.

Jason was... Perhaps the word 'insignificant', or 'the shame of the entire Saber class', or even 'The Servant, which is so weak that he is comparable to ordinary people', or... Hmm, let's just say that a lot of such derogatory titles could be picked up for Jason.

In any case, Jason was weak. As a Servant and as a swordsman, his 'strength' could only be called simply disappointing. However, that was not all.

Jason was a coward.

The fourth blow of Megalos... Jason barely managed to parry the attack, feeling that his completely numb hands could no longer respond to signals from his brain. Finally, Megalos' attack swept him off the ground, throwing him away as if a rag doll.

Cowardice, in essence, is an integral part of human existence. What some call cowardice - others prefer to call the instinct of self-preservation.

Megalos appeared next to the fallen body of Jason a second later, but Jason still managed to force his hands to raise his blade in defense again. He could barely hold the sword in his hands.

Jason was a coward when compared to the other illustrious, great Greek heroes.

For Atalanta, who is capable of splitting one arrow with another arrow on the fly, it is cowardice to refuse to compete with her in shooting.