Chapter 42

Ainz sighed, after which he tried to take on the most noble and intelligent appearance that he could. The one with whom he is going to meet now was perhaps the strangest person from the point of view of the magician. And at the same time one of the most important.

Sighing again, Ainz still raised his hand and knocked on the door.

Silence reigned for a few seconds before a female voice nevertheless answered him, "It's not locked."

Ainz opened the door, and then took a step inside the room, immediately his nose poked book, which almost fell out of its closet.

Da Vinci's office looked exactly as Ainz himself remembered - despite the fact that the room itself was very spacious, it was crowded with tables, shelves, littered with drawings, models and various fixtures, whose purpose Ainz could not even predict that it seemed as if the room is like a tiny closet littered with all kinds of useless trash. Inexplicable drawings, mechanical products, half-completed - or unfinished - models and figures lay in a chaotic and very picturesque mess, driving away from his head any thought that the owner of the room was at least to some extent concerned about the cleanliness of her own workplace.

In support of this thought, Da Vinci herself was in the center of this creative chaos. Directly in front of her, on a small table, was a small notebook, filled, it seemed, without the smallest of margins, with small, slime-like handwriting, in which she nevertheless continued to write something at the moment with her right hand. However, completely distracted from this matter, Da Vinci's left hand continued to do something else at the same time- peering closer a little, Ainz could see how, without directly looking, Da Vinci was using her other hand to draw something on a small sheet, with a small pencil neatly marking line by line.

On the table in front of Da Vinci was a small crystal.

"Oh, Ainz?" The girl was distracted from her notes, looking up at the magician, but her hands didn't even flinch - even looking up at Ainz, she continued to draw and write at the same time, while not even looking directly at them, "I admit I didn't think that I would see you in my workshop. Did something happen?"

"No, no," Ainz shook his head, and then took a step inside, closing the door behind him, "Just passing by."

"Hm, Is that so?" Da Vinci smiled, not ceasing to go about her business, "In that case, I hope you will not mind if I continue to go about my business?"

"Ah," Ainz nodded. "I'm distracting you."

"Not at all," as if to confirm her words, the girl, without lowering her gaze, finished writing the last sentence, after which she put a neat dot at the end and put down the pen, nevertheless, continuing to draw with one hand, "Even so, I'm glad you are here. Tea or coffee?"

Ainz sighed, "Tea, perhaps."

After finishing the final touch with one hand on a piece of paper, the girl nevertheless cleared it away from herself, after which she smiled at the magician, "Black, green?"

"Green." Ainz sighed, then looked around. There were several chairs in Da Vinci's office, but they were all occupied — some were packed up with a lot of papers, some contained things that Ainz would call equipment or artifacts.

"Ah, right," Da Vinci smiled, noticing the magician's gaze, and then she got up from the small sofa that she had occupied before and pointed to it. "You can sit here."

Ainz nodded and took a step passing by Da Vinci, going to the vacant seat, after which looked back to talk to the girl, but she already disappeared somewhere in the wilds of her own office and, twisting a little in place, the magician looked at the crystal that had attracted his attention from the very beginning.