Chapter 69

Ainz slowly rose from his nostalgia, after which he looked at the data crystal remaining after Nero finished dissolving.

Then suddenly, the reality around him started to ripple, the rubbles of Rome slowly started disappearing in waves. A wave of void spreads, as if the Singularity was a still pond where a stone was thrown into. Like a mirage slowly disappearing.

Hence, this was indeed the last problem of the Singularity. The last anomaly in the Human Order.

The Demon King, Baal...

In Yggdrasil, he was a very memorable enemy, albeit not one of the strongest. Strong or not, he was still a hundred-level mob - albeit not a boss. Ainz could defeat him, alone of course, but it would not be the easiest battle in his life...

Of course not the most difficult either.

However, thinking about it now was pointless. It was about the Baal from his past knowledge as a Yggdrasil player. The Baal that he fought just now was...

A lot less memorable. His spells repertoire was a lot lackluster, and in the end was a lot weaker.

For Ainz, in the end, he did not pose any particular danger.

But... He was still dangerous to the Servants. A huge danger.

In Yggdrasil, power was not everything. Although a level one player was not a danger to level one hundred in any way whatsoever in direct combat, there was still a different plane of the game where the level one player could pose as a threat. The level one player could be smart - he could compensate for his weakness in many ways. For example, he could invest a crazy amount of money in the game to bribe some guildmates of the level one hundred player, so that at an unexpected moment they would leave the guild and then attack their past leader. Ainz even heard of a similar incident in the past...

Thus, a level one player could defeat a level one hundred player without ever meeting him in battle. And even more - inflict a huge amount of damage on the entire guild while still remaining a level one player.

In the end, Baal posed no threat toward Ainz in a direct battle. But he had easily fooled him, killed all of his Servants and only a wonderful coincidence of circumstances did not allow him to win in the end. To simply retreat in the end with all the information he acquired about Ainz to his... King.

It was important that information about this "King" was to be reported to the rest of Chaldea, well to Roman, Da Vinci, and Olga at most.

What, in the end, was Ainz's strength good for if he couldn't use it openly? Using the Servants as an accessory, an expensive collection, was stupid. Wasteful. And what's more...

Inhumane.

Servants are people too...

In a second Ainz remembered Cainabel and shook his head - well, she still counts... in a sense.

Taking special care of Servants like Medusa, and then sending them to a slaughter... It was hypocritical.

Unfortunately, Ainz was a hypocrite. "Yesterday I killed one of their tribe - and that's good. Today they killed one of my tribe - and that's bad. " Hottentot morality... Unfortunately.

And, in fact, Ainz was completely fine with embracing this morality. Ainz was simply unsatisfied with the previous borders of "his tribe."

Still... Servants, ha...

Ainz was a bad boss, ignoring his Servants, those who differed from him only in appearance. They also had their own goals and desires, things that he ignored as he held them at arm's length. He treated them like simple toys in his collection. Now he couldn't anymore.