Chapter 54

Zhuge Liang considered himself to be an intelligent person.

Lord El Melloi the Second, also known as Waver for the very limited circle of friends close to him also considered himself not the most stupid of magi.

Logically speaking, as the combination of two intelligent people, the pseudo-servant Zhuge Liang should never have fallen into situations that could clearly be described as "catastrophically stupid".

Why then, is Zhuge Liang currently on the way to the barbarian camp absolutely knowing that they would not accept him as an ally - hardly even as a neutral side to their conflict?

"I apologize for the inconvenience caused by my request, Lord El Melloi," Ainz apologized, for the umpteenth time.

Yes, exactly, it's all because of this person.

Zhuge Liang tried to make his face look benevolent, but he was never particularly good at acting, so his "kind smile" turned out to be very wooden like at best - "It's okay. It's an honor to assist you in your investigation."

To this reply, Ainz only smiled politely, after which he took a step away from Zhuge Liang, toward his Servants.

To the Four Servants that he brought along with him.

The decision to leave several of his Servants behind while going to a meeting with the barbarian camp, people who were most easily described as "enemies" could hardly be called logical or level-headed. Indeed just as illogical as the decision to meet with the barbarians altogether. But Ainz were committed to these two decisions. Leaving Caster in Romulus' camp - the one that Romulus have recognized as Cu Chulainn thanks to his "abilities", more particularly his Noble Phantasm - and the girl in dressed in all black, like two opposite side of a mirror to the Servant that Ainz brought along with him. So why did Ainz decided to commit such actions?

It was a rather difficult question to answer. Or, more precisely, there were so many possible answers to this question that Zhuge Liang was not sure which one was the right one.

The simplest and most obvious possible "answer" in this case was that Ainz left his two Servants as a possible "helping hand" to Romulus and his allies. Also considering that the designated "helpers" could additionally serve Ainz as observers to Romulus and his Servants, this answer was the most logical and natural, especially considering that Cu Chulainn's abilities were already discovered from observation by Romulus. On the other hand, what do we know about the second girl?

Zhuge Liang was not sure of who she might be. However, what he was sure of was that she was dangerous.

Not as dangerous as the other Servant taken with Ainz, and not as powerful as Romulus, but still stronger than any other Servant subordinate to Romulus.

Leaving a strong Servant in the rearguard was foolish. Almost as stupid as a Master going to battle with a Servant by himself.

But Ainz has chosen options that Zhuge himself could only describe as "very stupid" with astonishing frequency. So why?

Perhaps Ainz chose not to leave the two Servant behind as a possible "help" to Romulus, but in order to prepare for an attack? Leaving behind the enemy's rear two Servants, Ainz would be able to attack Romulus from the rear if necessary. If one takes into account the fact that Ainz lied about the actions of Berserker, then such a course of action looked at least as disturbingly possible on the part of the Master.

But still, if he really wanted to attack Romulus, then diverting attention should have become his main directive of behavior... Perhaps he's just diverting attention from himself to hide something by doing anything important in broad daylight, in other words by taking action so blatantly he manages to hide his true intention.